Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

NHS staff sick certificate

11 replies

Foreverbaffled · 16/07/2022 19:44

I’m on day 5 of my first ever covid infection. I’ve been told not to return to work in the office (I’m an NHS community nurse) until I have two consecutive negative LFTs. It’s looking likely that’s going to happen in the next few days given the strength of the test line today. I also feel rubbish so will struggle to return to work on Monday unless things pick up dramatically tomorrow.

If I’m off for more than 7 days do I need to get a GP sick certificate like the old days? I don’t want to work from home to avoid doing this as still feel absolutely awful. I can’t find any clear guidance.

OP posts:
Please
or

Foreverbaffled · 16/07/2022 19:45

Sorry meant to say *its NOT looking likely that’s going to happen

OP posts:
Please
or

49er · 16/07/2022 19:48

Yes in my area you need GP sick line after 7 days even for covid.
Covid absence is still recorded as special leave not sick leave (but all usual sickness absence procedures are followed) where I am but that's changing in august.

Please
or

DontKeepTheFaith · 16/07/2022 19:49

I’m NHS and tbh I’m not sure.

It’s a bit confusing because it’s now being treated as any other sickness in my Trust but at the same time, we are asking that people don’t come in until they are testing negative😵‍💫

If you were my staff member I would be calling OCC health to get advice for you. You can either do that yourself on Monday or speak to your manager and they should advise you on process or contact occ health for advice.

Please
or

Foreverbaffled · 16/07/2022 19:54

Thanks both for the advice. I will message occupational health on Monday directly for advice. The chances of my poor GP surgery wanting to faff around doing a sick certificate right now seems very low!

OP posts:
Please
or

HuffleWoof · 17/07/2022 07:18

I thought you could self cert for Covid for a month now?

Please
or

anybloodyname · 17/07/2022 07:37

I think you need an Isolation note rather than a Fit note

Please
or

drinkingwineoutofamug · 17/07/2022 07:41

7 days self cert then get a doctors note. Unfortunately in my trust since 7th July covid is now a sickness trigger. Won't take a genius to figure what's going to happen here. But it's part of the government living with covid plan.

Please
or

49er · 17/07/2022 10:21

HuffleWoof · 17/07/2022 07:18

I thought you could self cert for Covid for a month now?

Depends what rules are in your Trust now. A lot have gone back to normal sickness absence procedures

Please
or

Foreverbaffled · 17/07/2022 12:10

Thanks all. I went onto my GP surgery website and it’s says they don’t offer sick certificates for covid but rather isolation notes via 111 website if you are off longer than 7 days. I’ll double check with work tomorrow. If it turns out to be a palaver then I’ll work from home come Tuesday even though I could really do with resting. The joys of working for the nhs.

OP posts:
Please
or

herecomesthsun · 17/07/2022 12:41

Well, the NHS has generally been quite tolerant of sick leave - covid might be a trigger point, but if you aren't well enough to come back to work straight away, they can't expect you to return. Also, there is such a shortage of staff that they need to be a sympathetic employer to retain those they still have. Hope you get well soon.

Please
or

Foreverbaffled · 17/07/2022 13:04

herecomesthsun · 17/07/2022 12:41

Well, the NHS has generally been quite tolerant of sick leave - covid might be a trigger point, but if you aren't well enough to come back to work straight away, they can't expect you to return. Also, there is such a shortage of staff that they need to be a sympathetic employer to retain those they still have. Hope you get well soon.

You’re right to be fair, they have been pretty tolerant. Thanks, hopefully I’ll be fine in a few days.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?