Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Chair to work at home?

springsummer22 · 07/04/2020 20:34

Currently having online physio and trying to work standing as my home chair is so unsuited to work and I have health issues. However am not managing to sit or stand for any length of time and am then in too much pain to sleep well. Any suggestions of office type chair I could still buy online at this time that would offer good support without my trying it out. Cant see how I can continue working without something but unfortunately my work is needed otherwise I would not be putting myself through this pain. Thank you for any suggestions.

OP's posts:
Please
or

pocketem · 07/04/2020 21:07

Where do you normally sit at home when you are not working?

Please
or

ChippyMinton · 07/04/2020 21:08

Can you collect your work chair and bring it home?

Please
or

springsummer22 · 07/04/2020 23:12

Sadly not an option to collect work chair or get someone to collect. I don't usually sit at home except for meals - have kids so I iron, cook, clean, tidy, do bed and bathtimes, stories, chauffeur to clubs etc and then collapse into bed. Definitely never a chance to sit on sofa in front of TV and I now need to work at a PC which is sited on desk. Have tried all chairs in the house and raised PC on desk and tried standing and alternating standing and sitting. I think a decent chair would help although the job will always be more sedentary at home than at work but I need to try something.

OP's posts:
Please
or

springsummer22 · 10/04/2020 09:06

any ideas welcome?

OP's posts:
Please
or

cologne4711 · 10/04/2020 09:12

I actually find office chairs really uncomfortable. I see you've tried all the chairs you have at home. I use a dining chair with two cushions (one to sit on, one at the back) and it's far and away more comfortable than office chairs.

Please
or

Merryoldgoat · 10/04/2020 09:17

Have a look at Operator Chairs - I just got one for my assistant to work from home as she has back issues.

I got hers from Wayfair and I got a basic office chair for myself.

Please
or

WannabeMathematician · 10/04/2020 09:21

www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/

Maybe something from here? Though like everything online they are a bit slow right now. You haven't said a budget so hopefully there is something in your range on there.

Please
or

yomellamoHelly · 10/04/2020 09:24

My dh bought a reconditioned Hermann Miller, which they have at work. Swears by it.

Please
or

ladybee28 · 10/04/2020 09:27

I have a kneeling chair, which I'm IN LOVE with.

Have heard mixed reviews from other people but it puts my spine in the right place and doesn't let me slouch, which is what always did my back in before.

Not sure what your health situation is or if this would be appropriate, but maybe it's a good compromise between sitting and standing?

Please
or

goldpartyhat · 10/04/2020 09:36

I used to have a normal office type chair for my study. Long hours of computer work. I was getting increasing lower back pain. I bought a kneeling chair, and (once I got used to it) have never had backache from using it.

Please
or

CheesyHousePlant · 10/04/2020 09:53

Some time ago I got work to order me one from Lyreco our office suppliers. I tried Staples but it was a shite chair. I am not sure if Lyreco would allow an individual customer but you could ask. It is a proper decent one. I also have a standing desk which I use a few days a month when I am fidgety.

I would also recommend a foot rest, a back rest possibly, a wrist pad for keyboard and mouse. I also bought a vertical mouse. Currently RSI free.

Please
or

imfeelinit · 10/04/2020 09:58

Posturing have some good office chairs and often allow trials if you ask! 😊

Please
or

Merryoldgoat · 10/04/2020 10:19

www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/

I tried to order from here but they took the funds and didn’t deliver - their customer services was useless.

I suspect they can’t cope with demand but it’s no excuse for lies.

Please
or

Mix56 · 10/04/2020 10:32

My daughter has this, (recommended by her physiotherapist:
www.backinaction.co.uk/capisco-puls.
you can also sit on it backwards, so your upper torso leans into the upright.
she has a high one for drawing table
Not cheap but you would have it for a lifetime, you can get replacement covers etc

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.