Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Covid

To be cross at my grandma?

21 replies

pastacaring · 17/03/2020 11:28

"I'm not staying home"
"I lived through the War"

She is out shopping. She is 77 and has asthma and lung problems. I love her so much but she makes me so cross sometimes. She does not think I should be self isolating with my 4 kids even though one of them has a fever and one has a new cough.

OP posts:
Please
or

june2007 · 17/03/2020 11:30

It,s her choice.

Please
or

MatildaTheCat · 17/03/2020 11:31

Well she was a baby in the war so presumably her parents took measures to keep her safe?

She sounds stubborn and a bit silly but in the next few days she might change her mind. Let’s hope she doesn’t find out the hard way.

Please
or

ImFreeToDoWhatIWant · 17/03/2020 11:32

It's her choice but she's an idiot.

Please
or

PardonWhat · 17/03/2020 11:34

I think this is what’s called ‘natural selection’.
I’m not surprised that you’re annoyed.

Please
or

Vinylsamso · 17/03/2020 11:35

YABU It’s her life and she has more life experience than you.

Please
or

anniefrangipani · 17/03/2020 11:37

Yanbu, it's not just her life, it's also everyone else's.

Please
or

SuburbanFraggle · 17/03/2020 11:39

Maybe she wants to end things. Tired of living but not actively wanting to do anything.

Please
or

OwlBeThere · 17/03/2020 11:43

My mother is the same. It’s frustrating, but she’s an adult and I can’t make her listen!

Please
or

Thescrewinthetuna · 17/03/2020 11:46

Honestly, if she knows the advice and is choosing to ignore it (and has no health issues that affect her capacity to make decisions) then honestly, you just have to accept it. I agree she shouldn’t be put and about but if she wants to then it’s on her. Make it clear you won’t be seeing her socially for the foreseeable as you’re isolating and don’t want her bringing the virus to you. That’s all you can do

Please
or

SamSeabornforPresident · 17/03/2020 11:46

I think this is what’s called ‘natural selection

Jesus fucking Christ.

Please
or

NotEverythingIsBlackandwhite · 17/03/2020 11:46

She was only alive for 2 years of the war. I bet she can't remember it at all.

It's her choice at the moment but she's not just risking herself. She is risking others she comes into contact with. Perhaps the PM will pass laws so that the police will take non-compliant over 70s off the streets?

It is a difficult one. My mum would have really struggled with staying in too.

Please
or

Another123 · 17/03/2020 11:48

I'm sure she thinks it's her choice if she wants to risk getting it. Will she be opting out of NHS treatment if she get's it? So that other people can access the service.

Has she considered that she may have it and be spreading to others who don't want it? You can be infectious before symptoms start and some people have no noticeable symptoms at all.

She sounds pretty selfish to me.

Please
or

Isthistrueor · 17/03/2020 11:49

My DH’s Grandad is 86 and he has said the same. Tbf he lives in a small village and drives everywhere so chances of him contracting it are slim compared to someone using public transport in a city for example. He has no underlying health conditions, just old but he isn’t bothered about it at all.

Please
or

QuestionableMouse · 17/03/2020 11:49

My parents are both like this and it's driving me mad.

They moan because they have to go out and yet when they're told to stay home they're refusing. I worry about them but have realised I can't control their actions.

Please
or

TokenGinger · 17/03/2020 11:50

YANBU. I feel the same way. My granddad is doing the same (he's 77). He's generally fit and well but my nana is diabetic, has underlying health conditions and is 79. She's very, very frail. She's currently fighting an infection in her legs. But granddad needs to go to Asda every morning to get out of the house.

The frustrating thing is, they've been preparing for this for years! Nana has 15 boxes of tea bags, 12 cartons of long life milk, 14 blocks of butter, a cupboard FULL of tinned food, a freezer full of frozen stuff, they have 12 packs of 4 toilet rolls and 6 crates of soft drinks in their conservatory. My granddad buys the same things every week regardless of if they need it or not so they have plenty in. He doesn't need to go out, and won't accept that he's selfishly placing my nana at risk by going out. I asked him yesterday if he could live with himself if he brought home the virus and it kills my nana. Brutal, but I can't see any other way of getting the message to hit home.

Please
or

IceColdCat · 17/03/2020 11:51

YABU not to put this in the Coronavirus topic.

Please
or

HathorX · 17/03/2020 12:00

I just went into town to pick up my new glasses. Old people everywhere! Yanbu, but she's certainly not alone.

One old man with a stick pushing an old lady along in a wheelchair. Another on a walking frame. They looked so frail. I wondered, are they all alone? Maybe they needed to fill a prescription or buy food. Maybe they just don't understand the advice. I hope habits change quickly.

Please
or

Troels · 17/03/2020 12:12

She's talking rubbish, she was two when it ended.
She didn't live through it, she has no memory of it I bet. All she'll probably remember is the rashioning that continued after the war.
I'd ban her from you and the kids seeing you have one with a cough and one with a fever.

Please
or

Troels · 17/03/2020 12:13

rashioning? Rationing.

Please
or

PardonWhat · 17/03/2020 12:15

SamSeabornforPresident

Yes, Jesus fucking Christ that you can’t take a joke about people doing stupid things Biscuit

Please
or

olivehater · 17/03/2020 12:16

Stuff like this is annoying. People are going out of business to protect people like her. Kids are going to miss out on their education for an illness that barely affects them. Makes you wonder why we are bothering if they can’t even be bothered to protect themselves.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?