Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Conflict in the Middle East

The solution

1 reply

notsoready4school · 23/11/2023 12:12

After all this ends, most sane people accept that the status quo as it was just cannot continue if Israel and Palestinians are to live in peace.

Two state solution gets thrown around but how does that even work given the geography of where Gaza is and where West Bank is? Also what will happen to Arab Israelis, will they just continue to live in Israel? Also given the changes in West Bank since 67 due to the settlements embedded so deeply, where could borders even be drawn? Should population sizes form part of the discussion?

The expectation by Israel would be that Palestine would be demilitarised but given how some Israelis operate and significant right wing sentiment in Israel (settlements etc) how can Palestine guard its borders with no armaments when one side is very much militarily equipped and in some cases opposed to its existence. If both are military equipped then it could become more like a Pakistan India situation which in the main works okay but the sizes of those countries makes it feasible. Not sure if it would work on this tiny scale. I saw this article written in 2014 but I’m sure the author was onto something then and demilitarising is just not going to work. https://ecfr.eu/article/commentary_demilitarising_gaza_is_not_a_solution_its_a_trap/?amp

It is most likely that the smartest and most practical solution will come from a woman and given there are so many smart well informed women aware of the regional issues here, many do have lived in the region, I thought it could be interesting (if it doesn’t get majorly derailed!) to see if there are any workable solutions.

Demilitarising Gaza is not a solution, it’s a trap

Demilitarising Gaza is being touted as part of a solution to the recent fighting. However, it's a potentially dangerous red herring…

https://ecfr.eu/article/commentary_demilitarising_gaza_is_not_a_solution_its_a_trap/?amp

OP posts:
Decisiontimenow · 27/11/2023 21:28

I remember seeing this thread and meaning to write but I was so tired (even more so now but I will give it a go)

My first thought was about the “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” in Rwanda following the genocide of the Tutsi.
I believe it’s something like this that needs to happen for Israelis and Palestinians. Something meaningful and deep and with its base in the populations as opposed to the political parties (although obviously those too). There is so much hatred that needs to be unpicked and wounds to heal.

Weeks ago I also went looking for solutions, for hope on the ground, I was hoping to find calls for a ceasefire from Israeli groups. I think grassroots organisations are the best way in the long run. +972 is a progressive magazine with activists and writers Israeli and Palestinian that I’ve found very inspiring.

A template for female led Co-operation I know of is
“The Northern Irish Women’s Coalition (NIWC), led by Monica McWilliams, a Catholic academic, and Pearl Sagar, a Protestant social worker, was one of few political parties of the time that did not fall behind sectarian divisions. Instead, their focus was to ensure women in Northern Ireland had agency over their own future and were “written into, rather than out of the peace process”.

Vivian Silver (tragically one of the victims of oct7) was a beautiful person involved in women wage peace. A British Israeli woman I met in London last week told me her female friends were organising to help Palestinians who had been beaten and treated horrifically post oct7… people are out there.

re the political resolution, the Palestinians have to be given a viable option, not a land partitioned up and divided by Israeli settlements. They have to be able to envisage a future where their children can live in dignity in the land of their ancestors. They have to be recognised as indigenous to the land, that they exist. Israel also has to be recognised as having the right to exist, of having the right to its security. I find early Jewish thinkers on Israel compelling- Hannah Arendt and Martin Buber who both believed in a binational state of Jews and Palestinians. I don’t think this is doable now but I think it would be amazing if Israel re-examined its past to find a way to a better future.

I don’t think USA / UK can be honest broker after what it’s supported for the last two months, it really is so crucial there is a body established (Qatar/ Jordan ) that is trusted by both parties and that will not be advocating for one over the other… even accepting there are always vested interests. And both sides need to want to find a common ground, a peaceful solution. Sometimes a really passionate and driven individual can make all the difference.
People credit Tony Blair for UK side of the peace process (and he was brilliant) but Mo Mowlam was the real power behind the negotiations and so beloved still in Ireland. We need a Mo.

Swimming Against the Mainstream: The Northern Ireland Women’s Coalition

Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security

https://giwps.georgetown.edu/resource/swimming-against-the-mainstream-the-northern-ireland-womens-coalition/

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.