My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Conflict in the Middle East

Please, listen to the people of Israel and Gaza, speaking about the situation.

37 replies

SequentialAnalyst · 11/10/2023 18:14

This is the best source I have found for hearing about the reality of the situation in Israel and Gaza, from people who live and work there. In each programme, the first twenty minutes or so are devoted to reporting on this.

I can't find the two interviews I heard the other night, which were from 2 mothers, one in Israel, the other in Gaza.
Both said their situation was Hell. Their own words, unprompted.
Then each said that all they wanted was their children to have a normal happy childhood, and grow up to be happy adults.

That is what every mother wants.

The Newsroom - 10/10/2023 01:06 GMT - BBC Sounds
The Newsroom - 11/10/2023 03:06 GMT - BBC Sounds

The Newsroom - 10/10/2023 01:06 GMT - BBC Sounds

The world's Newsroom brings you global events as they happen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w172z2tkl45yg7m

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

7 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
29%
You are NOT being unreasonable
71%
Umyisraelchai · 24/01/2024 09:01

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nevermind31 · 24/01/2024 10:38

They drove Hamas fighters to hospital???
Because the Gaza toddlers being killed by air strikes, or their mothers, certainly did not kill anyone…and I am sure a Palestinian grandmother would feel the same as you about the people killing her family.
please do not confuse Hamas fighters with innocent Palestinians.

alivio · 24/01/2024 10:45

I think there's a woeful naivety about innocent Palestinians vs Hamas. They have a very young population and the majority sympathise with Hamas.

Thulpelly · 24/01/2024 13:33

I think there's a woeful naivety about innocent Palestinians vs Hamas. They have a very young population and the majority sympathise with Hamas.

So they deserve to die? Yikes

OunceOfFlounce · 24/01/2024 13:52

Don't just listen, watch:

@ motaz_azaiza
@ wizard_bisan1
@ saleh_aljafarawi

Etc, etc.

This genocide is being livestreamed.

KimberleyClark · 24/01/2024 13:55

So there is no such thing as an innocent Palestinian? Not even Palestinian children are innocent?

Acapulco12 · 24/01/2024 14:07

How do you actually know the majority of Gazans sympathise with Hamas?

I think that’s a bit like saying the majority of Israelis sympathise with Netanyahu.

It is pretty impossible to know how many Israelis support Netanyahu and how many Gazans support Hamas.

Both Hamas and Netanhayu have done terrible things in the name of their countries and they are both extremely controversial figures/organisations.

I can see how people in their countries would support their general aims (ie to protect Israel and to protect Gaza - although at the terrible price of destroying the other country, it seems). I’m not sure we can say with any certainty though that most Gazans support Hamas.

alivio · 24/01/2024 15:13

@Thulpelly can you quote the part where I said they deserved to
die?

Umyisraelchai · 24/01/2024 18:17

Thulpelly · 24/01/2024 19:19

alivio · 24/01/2024 15:13

@Thulpelly can you quote the part where I said they deserved to
die?

I was trying to work out your point.
You think people in the west are naive about how Gazans feel about Hamas - even if you know that to be true, so what?

Senzadubbidobbi · 26/01/2024 01:05

As an Israeli Brit- and we’re many many -we live with 2 million Israeli Arabs. They’re not queuing to get into any of the failed Arab states surrounding us. They are our incredibly-valued doctors,pharmacists,surgeons,optometrists our colleagues & friends! We live side by side.

Yes and it used to be the other way round. Palestinian Muslims were in the majority and Jews in the minority. And they co-existed peacefully.

It’s easy to be magnanimous when you’re in the majority and backed by the state. Imagine though if those 2 million Arab Israelis expanded their numbers from abroad to become the majority, declared their statehood and pushed you out of your homes? Would you live so peacefully then?

And no they don’t want to live in other Arab states. Why should they? Palestine is their home.

Of course Israel is prosperous. It has the backing of the US. Whether they took the land by force or by purchase is immaterial. You could say the same about the US.

Open your eyes. Stop buying the Israeli propaganda. You call yourself an Israeli Brit. Even saying that don’t you see how privileged you are? You have been able to move between 2 countries, yet Palestinians can’t even go back to their homes of 80 years ago.

Opine · 26/01/2024 01:36

@Umyisraelchai so how will israel eliminate Hamas if the top dogs are yachting in the Côte d’Azur?
The constant talk of Hamas leaders living it up in Qatar, Saudi etc don’t really align with the ‘obliterate Gaza because they’re all hiding in tunnels’ objective does it?
which is it? Tunnels, hospitals, yachts…If the answer is all then you would have to agree that there can be no military solution.

SammyScrounge · 28/01/2024 01:15

Acapulco12 · 28/01/2024 01:58

'Innocent' is a word which should be applied sparingly when it comes to Palestinians.

@SammyScrounge Please do not mistake Hamas fighters for ordinary Palestinians. Yes, some Palestinians are Hamas fighters, but not all. Most Palestinians are innocent.

Umyisraelchai · 28/01/2024 07:06

LaDerniereVacheFolle · 28/01/2024 07:09

❤️.

Umyisraelchai · 28/01/2024 07:30

The UN Secretary-General has proven once again that the security of the citizens of Israel is not really important for him. After years in which he ignored the evidence presented to him personally about UNRWA’s support and involvement in incitement and terrorism, and before he conducted a comprehensive investigation to locate all Hamas terrorists in UNRWA, he called to fund an organization that is deeply contaminated with terrorism
McCaul “Appalled, But Unfortunately Not Surprised” UNRWA Employees Involved in October 7th Massacre

Press Release 01.26.24
Media Contact 202-226-8467
College Station, TX – House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Michael McCaul has released the following statement in response to reports that United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) employees were complicit in Hamas’ October 7th attacks in Israel that left more than 1,200 people dead and resulted in more than 240 people taken hostage. Chairman McCaul, along with Oversight and Accountability Subcommittee Chairman Brian Mast (R-FL) and other committee members recently requested Mr. Lazzarini, the Commissioner-General of UNRWA, appear before the committee to respond to widespread allegations of corruption and bias against Israel. Next Tuesday, the Oversight and Accountability and Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations Subcommittees will hold a hearing entitled, “UNRWA Exposed: Examining the Agency’s Mission and Failures,” to look into actions by UNRWA.
“I am appalled–but unfortunately not surprised–that UNRWA employees were involved in Hamas’ October 7th massacre. For years there has been extensive evidence that UNRWA is not a neutral arbiter, and that their anti-Israel bias is widespread and systemic. Yet the Biden administration inexplicably re-started funding the organization in 2021.
“I strongly support the decision to once again suspend U.S. funding. Any UNRWA employee found to be involved in acts of terrorism or violence must be terminated from any current or future UN employment and held accountable under the law. A full accounting of UNRWA’s complicity in the October 7th attack, as with all instances of terrorism, is urgently needed, as I have been pressing since November. I look forward to continuing to work with my colleagues to conduct robust oversight of UNRWA’s actions and the Biden administration’s decision to re-start funding to UNRWA in 2021.”

Doggydoggy · 28/01/2024 12:39

@Umyisraelchai you say never again will we be massacred.

so it’s okay to massacre the Palestinians, because Jewish people have been massacred in the past. Surely the holocaust survivors and their descendants should be the first to say never again not in our name. I know many are saying never again, in support of the Palestinians. But the Israeli government doesn’t care, all they want to do is eliminate Palestinians and take over the whole land. Hamas were largely born out of Israel’s occupation of Gaza. Netanyahu would possibly not be in power if it wasn’t for Hamas.

and the IDF would not be bulldozing and attacking the West Bank if it was truly about destroying Hamas. There is no Hamas in the West Bank.

and hostages, there are many many many hostages taken by Israel and held hostage without trial or charge. They are beaten, tortured, denied even medical treatment. I do not agree with Hamas taking hostages obviously, but you act like there are no Palestinian hostages, there are thousands more Palestinian hostages than there are Israeli. Neither are acceptable but it’s very important to acknowledge both, rather than just ignore because oh, they’re Hamas supporting Palestinians. I say tongue in cheek. This is also directed at the very kind poster who said innocent should be used sparingly in regards to Palestinians.

the Israeli government and IDF are targeting Palestinians just because they are Palestinian and want the land they live on. It is not all amount Hamas, the main goal has always been to take over the whole land. If you cannot see this you are either ignoring it, naive or misguided, or potentially brainwashed.

the IDF are targeting unborn babies, children, women just on the off chance they are Hamas. How can an unborn baby or a young child be a Hamas supporter. As for the older ones, and women, and also many many men, all they’re trying to do is survive. You seem to begrudge them life. If you see the videos and livestreams from Gaza, so many are being killed even when holding a white flag. IDF killed their own, those 3 hostages that were Israeli, they were holding a white flag, hoping for help from the soldiers, but they were shot and killed by the people meant to rescue them.

you also say ‘we are not going anywhere’, well neither are the Palestinians. They were there before the creation of Israel and then were forcibly removed from their homes to make way for new people of this new state of Israel. I understand that there seemed to be a need for somewhere safe for Jewish people, but why should be at the expense of people already living there. Jewish people and Arabs and Muslims and Christian’s lived there for years peacefully and then Israel is created and it all goes to pot. That is not the Palestinians fault. That is not to say it is the Jewish people’s fault but it is the fault of the governments at the time.

stomachameleon · 28/01/2024 14:00

@Umyisraelchai thank you for your posts.

ChickHenLittle · 28/01/2024 16:02

Such vitriol @Umyisraelchai. You complain about people making assumptions about Israelis and make the nastiest statements about Palestinians.
You ask people not to "educate" you - please do the same and don't assume you know what it is to be Palestinian or where most people's affiliations lie.

Umyisraelchai · 28/01/2024 16:11

And how many Palestinians do you know? Btw Golda Meir was “Palestinian” - but don’t let it upset you!

Doggydoggy · 28/01/2024 16:31

And how many Palestinians do you know? Btw Golda Meir was “Palestinian” - but don’t let it upset you!

She’s a fucking nutcase (well was). She held a Palestinian passport under the British mandate. So that technically makes her Palestinian. But she was born in modern day Ukraine, and was a us citizen. She also said a hell of lot of horrific things. I have an exceptionally low opinion of her.

you have clear contempt of Palestinians. And honestly I think that is understating it.

ChickHenLittle · 28/01/2024 16:37

My parents. Myself, by birth, at least. For a start. I can go on if you like? I'm not upset, don't worry, you're just showing your own prejudices. Many of my good childhood friends were not Israeli by birth, but with Israeli parents. Unlike yourself, I don't automatically dislike people due to where they happen to be born.

Umyisraelchai · 28/01/2024 16:42

Umyisraelchai · 28/01/2024 16:47

Nor do I Madame nor do I! Unless they start singing & dancing about rivers & seas!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.