Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Secondary infertility

sunshine67394 · 23/09/2022 20:57

Hi All,

We have been trying for a baby for 13 months now. It's just not happening.

We do currently have one child together.

Do the NHS help with secondary infertility or am I better off going straight to private.

Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sweetie13 · 23/09/2022 22:36

Hi sunshine67394,

Solidarity, I've been ttc a second child for 8 months so far and reaching the same conclusion as you that further help is needed! I'm actually seeing the GP next week (due to irregular bleeding between periods) and have been told I'll be sent for a scan. Am in two minds whether to go private but planning to see how long until the scan would be before deciding - just don't want to waste more time!

As I understand it, the NHS wouldn't fund IVF for secondary infertility but you might be able to get a scan/blood tests or even medication if needed. Worth a chat with your GP to see what they can do 🙂

Please
or

Longbin · 23/09/2022 22:45

I had infertility and had blood tests on the nhs. Went privately in the end as was on the waiting list for further tests/ivf for nearly 2 years due to errors.

For my second child I tried to get medication (not ivf) and they would not give me any. They did perform a laparoscopy though which was all clear so there was no treatment from that either.

I would go privately. For my first I had to be trying for 2 years before the initial blood test, so the NHS might encourage you to try for longer depending on your age.

Please
or

eatyourcrustspls · 23/09/2022 22:49

We ttc for 4 years for our second. I did fall pregnant twice but lost them. My bloods were done by the GP were fine. Just as I moved I went to see my new GP who did my bloods again and was going to send me to the recurrent miscarriage clinic, I fell pregnant that month and she's two tomorrow. I found my GP very helpful. I knew my cycles inside out, it's so hard. I feel for your, OP. Good luck x

Please
or

RainbowSlide · 23/09/2022 22:54

I had 3 years of secondary infertility and my advice to you is not to waste your time with the nhs bc they won't help if you have a child already. If you can afford it, go and sort this out privately.

As soon as I did, DH and I had so many more tests, scans etc, and we ended up doing ivf successfully. The problem was an immune system issue (natural killer cells that don't let an embryo implant), and with immune therapy that was sorted out.

Really hope you can get the help you need, the nhs is great until it isn't and there is little understanding from the health system how difficult secondary infertility can be.

Please
or

RainbowSlide · 23/09/2022 22:56

Ps all the gp did for me was send me for blood tests to confirm I was ovulating, beyond that they couldn't offer anything. Might be different in different trusts (i was in London) so if you can get additional scans and tests then do that!!

Please
or

Mummysharkargggggggg · 23/09/2022 22:58

We tried for 7 years for our second and the nhs did do investigations on both of us but towards the end of us trying. I fell pregnant naturally eventually

Please
or

sunshine67394 · Yesterday 07:29

Thank you all!

That's what I was thinking.

It's soo frustrating & unfair. All my little one does is ask for a baby sister/brother. It's isn't just about us wanting another child.

I'm going to start looking at private.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?