Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Ttc at older age

Daniel755 · 23/09/2022 13:42

Hi
just wondering anyone thoughts on ttc at an older age 47 plus with youngest 10.. would you .. is it too risky or are you better not too?

OP's posts:
Please
or

countrypunk · 23/09/2022 15:39

Of course it's very much your choice. You know your circumstances, your family, your body... but if you're serious about it, I'd advise that you go to a fertility clinic and have a fertility MOT. I imagine at 47 you'd need to use donor eggs, and I'm not sure there are any clinics in the UK who would work with a woman of your age, so you may well need to go abroad for the treatment. All this needs investigating first to see what your options are.

Please
or

BeanieTeen · 23/09/2022 15:44

Chances of conceiving aren’t high, so I personally wouldn’t bother putting myself through trying for that reason alone. Plus much higher risk of miscarriage and complications. I think it’s just setting yourself up for probable disappointment and even heartache. But that’s just me - my thoughts, you did ask. As above, it is very much your choice.

Please
or

Daniel755 · 23/09/2022 16:04

yes I know there would be more chance of complications.. think I just wanted some realistic opinions what others would do .. at that age or ones that have been through it ..my mum was 44 when she had me.. I don’t know if I could go through pregnancy the same at this age with the extra worry. Wouldn’t want to go down the donor route

OP's posts:
Please
or

cptartapp · 23/09/2022 16:16

My friend had her second set of twins at 47. Her first set were 17!
All well.

Please
or

Daniel755 · 23/09/2022 16:22

cptartapp..

that’s amazing how lovely.. definitely possible then

OP's posts:
Please
or

atotalshambles · 23/09/2022 16:27

Very possible through IVF using donor eggs. Smallish chance naturally. I think the worry is not your health now but in the future. There are no guarantees whenever you have a baby however.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?