Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

TTC #3, over 38, BIG age gap

Pheepa · 02/02/2022 20:27

Hello, just wanted to say hi really. I'm 38 with a 12 year old daughter and 10 year old daughter. Was discussing with hubby wanting to come off pill and him having the snip instead and it made us realise we wanted to try for a 3rd while it was still potentially possible. We are both newly re employed after 5 years of self employment and realised financially it was a plausible idea for the first time in over 5 years.
We are in our first month after 1st period after stopping pill. Day 1 of cycle was 19th Jan. Used Clearblue digital OPK and got high readings 27th/28th/29th and then peak on 30th. Strong ovulation pains on one side all day on 31st (used to get these on alternate sides each month when not on pill previously). EWCM 29th-31st. DTD multiple times between 25th and 31st.

Now trying to get through my first 2ww in over 10 years! First pregnancy was unplanned following less than perfect taking of my pill, 2nd we fell on 3rd month of trying. Am very very fortunate to have never knowingly suffered a miscarriage or chemical pregnancy.

So basically just wanted to say hi, see if anyone had any similar experiences. I'm feeling optimistic that my body seems to be doing the right things this month. Am I right to have a little hope that this could happen relatively quickly at 38? Concerned slightly about the big age gap between older 2 and this one if it happens and how pregnancy might go now I'm 10 years older than the last time.

Think I've waffled long enough! Just needed to put my thoughts somewhere since we are not telling anyone about TTC!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DiscipleMama · 23/09/2022 21:26

Hey,
This was obviously written some months ago, how have things progressed? I am almost 38 and thinking about TTC #3 with 2 kids 10 & 8. After we did actually 'make it possible', shall we say, I did panic slightly lol. But I also know I'll feel that disappointment if, as is likely, I don't get pregnant this time. I was diagnosed with a neurological condition this year, and haven't had a libido to talk of for ages so it's a bit of a happy surprise to hubby.

Please
or

Pheepa · 23/09/2022 23:10

Hi! We fell on 4th month of trying. I’ll be 26 weeks on monday. All seems to be going ok. I was diagnosed with high BP at my 12 week appointment and panicked that it was all going to go downhill and I’d end up with early preeclampsia and a really prem baby but low dose labetalol is keeping it in check so far. Been much sickier than my previous pregnancies, not sure if it’s age, just one of those things or because we’re having our first boy. All scans have been good, low risk for downs/pateau/edwards and not yet feeling too old and exhausted but definitely waiting to see what the 3rd trimester brings! The older 2 are so excited which is lovely. Good luck with your journey!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DiscipleMama · Yesterday 00:19

Oh that's so good to hear - I mean, the pregnancy, kids' excitement etc. I understand about the BP thing. One of my health issues is that I have something called Polycystic Kidney Disease so I have been put on close watch regarding BP and baby's growth with my other 2 pregnancies. But, both were actually fine (if anything the opposite of what they were looking out for as I tended towards low BP and symptoms with that, as well as BIG babies :-/ !!)
It's good that they are aware/monitoring though, I would think.
I feel a bit crazy even considering TTC now, but it is what it is. Now I am officially in the 2 week wait, and, of course, already feel like it's gonna last an age. And I also feel like I will slightly panic if we were to conceive and yet be very disappointed if not! Also, my Dad is visiting us from other side of the world (I'm a Brit with Kiwi hubby and we got stuck in NZ because of the lockdowns and so had to make life here...I get super homesick and both my other 2 were born here so my parents have never gotten to be a big part of my kids' early years which makes me very sad...but I had to decide that that wasn't a good reason for NOT trying for another).
Whoops, I'm rambling a bit here. Sorry!

Please
or

Pheepa · Yesterday 19:26

Good luck with getting through your first 2WW. I find they did get easier! Did you track ovulation or just go with the flow?

OP's posts:
Please
or

DiscipleMama · Yesterday 21:55

I tracked just through some basic ways, no strips or temps, but I am quite confident of the day that O happened. Which I guess is a good sign in itself, but I know not to expect anything too soon (doesn't stop the anticipation though).

Please
or

Pheepa · Today 09:16

It really doesn’t. I was confident I was ovulating too so that was good straight after coming off the pill. Know we were really lucky to conceive on month 4, in hindsight I know that’s v quick, especially at 38. Still had the worry and disappointment for the 3 months before though. It’s so all consuming x

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?