Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Alcohol and Conception

3 replies

Nerthus · 13/08/2003 16:35

Dear All

I know one stops drinking when one gets pregnant, but does anyone know the latest info on whether drinking affects one's chances of actually conceiving in the first place? I've been trying to conceive for a while, and though haven't been going overboard on the booze, I haven't given it up either, and have been wondering if I really ought to. I've heard very conflicting things about this so am a bit confused and wondering if it is just something nobody really knows about and so the docs say give it up anyway, or whether there is genuine evidence one way or the other. Would be very grateful for anyone's thoughts...

OP posts:
Please
or

zebra · 13/08/2003 16:38

There is a research group in Denmark that definitely came up with statistics that showed drinking reduced one's chances of conceiving. I'll look for a link...it was a pretty straightforward relationship; even tiny amounts (they reckoned) reduced the odds.

However.... we all know people who conceived when legless, so remember the link is only statistical, not definitive.

Please
or

zebra · 13/08/2003 16:43

Abstract .

What I remember about this story, though, is an interview on the Radio (this news report is responsible for us conceiving DS, btw, long story!). Anyway, they asked women to keep diaries recording their alcohol consumption during days 10-18 of their cycle, and compared alcohol intake in this period to conception rates. The thing is, the target fertility window is wider than that, and people may be tempted to lie in such alcohol diaries. The odds ratios are low enough (below 1) that I'm not sure the study is statistically strong enough, given the other "measurement" errors.

Please
or

Nerthus · 14/08/2003 09:51

Thanks very much Zebra! That's given me some food for thought. I suppose I had better give up just in case. It's funny, I've heard both sides from doctors, one lot saying one had to give up, the others, at Hammersmith clinic no less, saying a moderate amount didn't matter in the slightest...!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?