My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Chronic pain

Osteoarthritis & stiffness

17 replies

Excitedannie · 20/02/2023 14:31

I'm in need of a hip replacement due to osteoarthritis although the surgeon I saw said I was too young and it needs to be managed with steroids (I'm 51). All good except the waiting list for injections is ten months

However, the muscle stiffness and joint pain is even worse - ibuprofen doesn't even touch it and I walk like I'm 90 years old and the pain keeps me awake. Does anyone have any experience and what helps?!

OP posts:
Fairysilver · 20/02/2023 14:41

I am puzzled that you say you need a hip replacement but your surgeon clearly disagrees. There is no lower age limit for the surgery.
I have OA and RA and have not found the injections help much. My RA is controlled by drugs but there isn't much besides painkillers for the OA.
Volterol or similar gel helps, also heat pads.
However hard it is keep moving. Pilates and Yoga help me, I walk and do what I can.

Excitedannie · 20/02/2023 14:58

Yes me too!!! The first surgeon was very much "yes you need it and it's your choice whether you go on the list". I went back a month or so after I realised the injections wouldn't last, and that surgeon had a different view - put it off as long as you can. I'm back at the end of April so I'll have another conversation.

I've just come back off a big holiday with a group of friends and it was so apparent that I was really struggling. I'm so active normally and this is changing who I am Sad

OP posts:
thesugarbumfairy · 10/03/2023 11:12

There is no lower age limit for surgery BUT most surgeons will tell you that 51 is too young and try alternatives instead. That includes private surgeons. Whilst it is worth trying injections, the results are variable. I had one steroid injection which barely made a difference. The following year I had a hyuralonic acid injection instead which was much better as it removed the pain when I was still, which meant I could get some sleep. (it didn't help much when I was moving) That lasted about four months. The following year I had another hyuralonic acid injection and it did bugger all. That was the point at which my consultant said ok its time. I got a new right hip in November and its bloody brilliant. I was at the point where I needed a mobility scooter to get anywhere. Now I can jog up the stairs. I'm 48 btw.

pandora206 · 10/03/2023 11:33

I wonder if the issue is that hip replacements don't last forever? The NHS website mentions that modern hip replacements can last for 15 years. A review in the Lancet concluded that 58% last 25 years. Maybe that is the reason for deferring it at 51?

GettingStuffed · 21/03/2023 12:48

I can't use NSAIDs but before I was found to be intolerant I was on naproxen which works better the longer you take it. I'm now on zapain, a prescription strength parachute and codeine which helps a lot.

NeedToKnow101 · 21/03/2023 13:09

I've got osteoarthritis in my knees. What I have noticed is that if I am inactive, even for a day, they become very painful. And if I wear the wrong shoes (ie, not trainers), or dance all night, that also messes them up.

Activity and exercise (but the right kind) and being a regular weight, not overweight, helps lessen the symptoms.

MathsNervous · 23/03/2023 21:21

Cocodamol 30/500 twice a day.

MathsNervous · 23/03/2023 21:22

Also exercise as others have said. Keep moving as much as is comfortable.

WicketWoo · 23/03/2023 21:25

I had a knee replacement at 45 and it was the best thing I could have done. Massively painful but my mobility is so much better after it. They have said I'll probably need another replacement at some stage but I'd take that and be able to be active in my 40s and 50s.

HerLadySheep · 23/03/2023 21:29

I've had a hip replacement in my 40's and it's life altering. Get proper pain relief, something like Tramadol, and stay as active as is possible, but push for the replacement.
The reason we are told to wait as long as possible is because replacements wear out and there's no guarantee of success with further replacement surgery. I'd rather be mobile in by 40's & 50's than be in constant agony & unable to enjoy life. The technology behind joint replacement is improving all the time.

Excitedannie · 24/03/2023 06:34

Thank you all for your replies bd many of you echo my thoughts - why on earth would I want to wait when these are the times I want to be active! I have a great social life (well, did), I enjoy my job, a teenage daughter who wants to go shopping or Thorpe park at every opportunity and a young dog!!!!!

I'm trying to do my physio and keep positive buf that just hurts my back. I hobble (and I mean hobble) with the dog for an hour each day with lots of breaks sitting on benches and I take ibuprofen. But frankly this is shit and I just can't go on like this Sad

OP posts:
MathsNervous · 25/03/2023 07:49

Ibuprofen is unlikely to help. I find it doesn't absolutely nothing to help with my pain. I know that it's recommended on Versus Arthritis website but it just isn't enough. I have seen some improvement with pilates but struggle to find the time each day to do a session.

Hopefully you get the help you need to get through each day OP, you do have my sympathies. Contact your GP for advice.

Goodread1 · 29/03/2023 06:55

@NeedToKnow101

I am just wondering what activity and exercises are beneficial for OestoAthritis which I have too,

Thanks @Excitedannie
For doing this thread,
Appreciated
I know the feeling all to well of desperation health wise too,
Like lots of people,
Glad to hear you are trying to keep spirits up and take part up,

I agree that steriod injection ๐Ÿ’‰ is not as beneficial as was hoping would be.

Excitedannie · 29/03/2023 19:47

Hi, I went to the physio again this morning and he seems really keen to help and he's the first person that actually takes time to explain what's happening and what the exercises are for

So it's my hip but also lower back stiffness. Seperate problems but exacerbating each other. I've just cooked dinner by holding on to the works surface to move around - im in so much pain today but I try my best to hide it from my daughter.

I just want to go to bed and cry, so I think I will x

OP posts:
NeedToKnow101 · 29/03/2023 20:08

Goodread1 · 29/03/2023 06:55

@NeedToKnow101

I am just wondering what activity and exercises are beneficial for OestoAthritis which I have too,

Thanks @Excitedannie
For doing this thread,
Appreciated
I know the feeling all to well of desperation health wise too,
Like lots of people,
Glad to hear you are trying to keep spirits up and take part up,

I agree that steriod injection ๐Ÿ’‰ is not as beneficial as was hoping would be.

It's mainly strength building exercises I think. So for the knee it would be to build up the muscles around it. The pain in my knee was noticeably absent when I got much stronger for a while (from packing and moving house, not going to the gym). Internet has info on exercise specific to osteoarthritis.

NeedToKnow101 · 29/03/2023 20:13

Excitedannie · 29/03/2023 19:47

Hi, I went to the physio again this morning and he seems really keen to help and he's the first person that actually takes time to explain what's happening and what the exercises are for

So it's my hip but also lower back stiffness. Seperate problems but exacerbating each other. I've just cooked dinner by holding on to the works surface to move around - im in so much pain today but I try my best to hide it from my daughter.

I just want to go to bed and cry, so I think I will x

Sorry @Excitedannie - it must be exhausting. I remembered today a colleague who had both hips replaced (about a year apart). She went from someone in severe pain, using sticks to walk very slowly around, to almost skipping around. She really was like a new woman. Hopefully the exercise and other treatment will help until you can get surgery.

Goodread1 · 29/03/2023 23:14

@NeedToKnow101

Thanks you so much for the infor,
Appreciated,
I will have a look that's for sure

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.