My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Chronic pain

Anyone got a laberal tear in hip

14 replies

iluvsummer · 16/02/2023 19:47

As above really, have been suffering left hip pain which radiates for the last 2 years and has got progressively worse and is now severe. Finally saw gp who referred for X-ray, mri and physio. X-ray shows osteoarthritis and a possible cyst. Saw consultant physio this morning who assessed me and suspects laberal tear and osteoarthritis from the tests he carried out which he believes are due to me having hip dysplasia when I was born.

What treatments have you had if you’ve been diagnosed with this? Will be starting physio and am on zapain. Possible next steps after having mri next week are mri with dye contrast and a referral to osteo consultant.

OP posts:
Definitelysometime · 16/02/2023 20:03

Following. I suffer from achy and painful hips a lot, so opened your thread - and I also had hip dysplasia at birth! So I cant help, I'm sorry OP, but am interested to hear from others on this too. How old are you?

iluvsummer · 16/02/2023 20:35

I’m 45, feel far too young to be having this 😣Maybe there are some others in the same boat who can give some advice.

OP posts:
gorillalala · 17/02/2023 11:35

I had a labral tear in my early 30s. I had a sharp hip pain which got worse and worse when running/walking and so I went to GP. Initially they tried physio (didn't help) and then got referred to a consultant for more investigations. Had a steroid injection to aid diagnosis and an MRI (can't remember in which order), and eventually had a hip arthroscopy- key hole surgery where they shaved a bit of the bone underneath the tear and then sealed the tear. They're not really sure why it happened, just suspect that the bone underneath was rubbing away at it for years as it was a more frayed tear rather than a clean tear.

Now I would barely know I had had any issue, for the first few years after the operation my right hip was a bit weaker when doing physio/exercise but now it's pretty much normal. I had private healthcare through work so thankfully the process was quicker than it would have been on NHS.

cryinginhmart · 20/02/2023 19:44

I’m not diagnosed with this but had the mri with the dye contrast to test for it and the results are back but I’m not seeing my consultant to go through them until next Monday. I have hypermobility spectrum disorder which we think has caused them.

TinyTerrorr · 20/02/2023 20:07

I was diagnosed (by MRI) with a hip labral tear and cyst 5 years ago when I was 29 (trauma related) Had a steroid injection which helped for a few months then the pain came back so had surgery.

The surgeon said the labrum had embedded itself into the bone so they shaved a bit of the bone off but to be honest I don't feel the surgery has helped. I still have the same pain, stiffness in my hip, very clicky hips and pain from what I think is probably scar tissue. I've just accepted I'll probably have hip arthritis and need a hip replacement by the time I'm 45! Probably not what you wanted to hear so my advice would be to really investigate treatment options and likelihood of success.

dinmin · 20/02/2023 20:19

Labral tear in both hips and bursitis. Consultant who had previously been dismissive couldn’t believe it when he got the scans back and was amazed I wasn’t in more pain 🙄 Had some physio but that’s it.

iluvsummer · 20/02/2023 21:42

I have my mri on Thursday but the physio told me last week that it’s not on my hips just my lower back in order to rule out back issues that may be causing the pain. My hip is grinding when I move it outwards and it feels like a sort of jolty bone on bone feeling if I take a step forward on the left leg, it also clicks at every opportunity and to add to it my knee has started clicking now! I’ve made an appointment with a private consultant who is supposed to be the best in the area I live, I’ll have my results to take with me so hopefully he’ll have enough info to make some sort of diagnosis and I’ll go from there. At least the painkillers and numbing most of the pain and mornings aren’t too bad at the moment!

OP posts:
iluvsummer · 05/03/2023 17:23

Thought I’d update…saw consultant Friday and I have hip dysplasia type 2 from when I was little, the bad hip ball? is bigger and sticks out more than the other one, small cyst, labral tear and osteoarthritis, some wear and tear to the base of my spine but that’s nothing to worry about.

He said to either leave it all be for now and treat with painkillers or have hip injection which I’ve said I’ll do so he’ll refer me on the nhs for that or I can have it done privately with them, he didn’t really push the injection as he said it may or may not work and if it does there’s no guarantee how long it will last for! He said ultimately hip replacement but not now as he thinks I’m too young!! I’ve got to ring the physio tomorrow to make another appointment now I’ve seen the consultant so I’m hoping he can hurry things along as when I saw him last he said last time he’ll make a referral to trauma orthopaedics.

I’m still in pain, is usually unbearable by the end of the day. Doctor has given me tramadol to take now but I’m a bit wary about taking it!

OP posts:
Tilly2004 · 23/03/2023 05:58

Hi,
After suffering a very painful right hip that has gradually got worse I was diagnosed last year with bilateral hip dysplasia and a labral tear in my right hip. I had a steroid injection last week into the hip joint (under sedation in theatre with X-ray) and has so far given me much needed relief! Although the hip injection isn’t a cure, more a diagnostic procedure to make sure my pain was coming from my hip and not my back. But this hopefully will give me a few months relief but I know the pain will come back. The consultant did mention about the possibility of referring me to a London consultant to discuss surgery for my torn labrum but that will be discussed at my next out patients appointment. I’m 46 so definitely don’t want to think about a hip replacement yet…
I found naproxen helped with my pain but make sure you take omeprazole with it to protect your stomach.

parrotonmyshoulder · 23/03/2023 06:42

I had labral tears in both hips but they rectified during my first pregnancy 14 years ago.I have hypermobility and had hip dysplasia as a baby. I also have terrible feet (bunions since childhood) and I’m sure it’s all related.
Hip pain returns if I run or after about ten miles of walking, which I think is bursitis.

MrsH497 · 03/07/2023 16:37

Know this is an older thread but I've been diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia the MRI shows full thickness tears to the labrum both sides. Waiting for my consultant appointment next month. At the initial appointment he appeared to indicate surgical procedure was likely to actually cure the issue not mask it.

Pain seems to get worse daily at the moment after trying to get someone to take the pain seriously for 12+ years. Mobility isn't great either which with a 3 year old and 16 month old isn't ideal.

Kinda nice to know others have had this issue

UsefulChocReindeer · 03/07/2023 16:49

I was diagnosed with a labral tear, woke up with severe pain one day. Diagnosed several months later through work private insurance.

Ortho consultant says it can't be fixed, only solution would be a total hip replacement! Which I can't face at 48years old :(

Have had a steroid injection, which has masked the pain a lot. Been doing pilates and yoga (because I'm currently feeling less pain) to strengthen the glutes according to the physio.

Physio says it's all about pain management, not ever going to be pain free :(

MrsH497 · 03/07/2023 16:55

UsefulChocReindeer · 03/07/2023 16:49

I was diagnosed with a labral tear, woke up with severe pain one day. Diagnosed several months later through work private insurance.

Ortho consultant says it can't be fixed, only solution would be a total hip replacement! Which I can't face at 48years old :(

Have had a steroid injection, which has masked the pain a lot. Been doing pilates and yoga (because I'm currently feeling less pain) to strengthen the glutes according to the physio.

Physio says it's all about pain management, not ever going to be pain free :(

Gosh! Although I'd take that hip replacement right now (I'm 37 this year) to be able to be running round with my girls

Exasperado · 21/07/2023 10:41

I had a labral tear for a long time,along with bursitis on that side... it was agony. I have HEDS and that hip has always moved too far out of range and threatened to dislocate, so I guess that caused it. I had physio, but the best advice she gave me was to not put any pressure on that hip. So no sitting with my kness bent underneath me, legs straight out in front on a stool if I wanted my feet up. Don't lie on that side in bed, lie on the opposite side and use a pillow between my knees to take all pressure off it. Don't even lean that hip onto the side of your chair etc... No external pressure whatsoever. I made sure I didn't walk too far, took painkillers and did whatever physio she gave me, I can't remember the exercises. But my pain did actually ease without any other intervention. I hope yours will too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.