My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Chronic pain

Adhesions

7 replies

Orangesandlemons77 · 26/12/2022 22:45

I have these from previous bowel surgery and have since had several small bowel obstructions from them. Now the surgeons have said no more surgery and that organs are stuck together- called a conglomerate.

Just wondered if any others in the same boat. It's a difficult situation having no cure and the prospect of the risk of further SBOs.

OP posts:
Orangesandlemons77 · 26/12/2022 22:49

I also get general chronic pain from it mainly in the pelvic area and upper abdomen also.

Thought posible had gallstones as well recently but they have been ruled out after an ultrasound, seems it is another adhesions related pain. Luckily GP seems aware of adhesions and the pain they cause.

Some doctors and surgeons have not been as aware.

Did have co codomol to help with pain but it was causing heartburn/reflux so had to stop that.

OP posts:
LibbyL92 · 11/04/2023 11:34

Yes, I have these. 10 years ago my stomach stuck itself together and has a result I’m left with adhesions. Ive not been right since. Having a colonoscopy next week to see what’s going on as my FIT result was positive.

Bbq1 · 11/04/2023 11:45

Op, I understand. I too had bowel surgery due to cancer and was opened up abdominally 4 times for a variety of Operations. I suffer with adhesions. Last time I was told they had to unstick my bladder from my bowel. I too get chronic pain in my stomach as a result I but live and work with it mostly with a combination of loperamide, mebeverine and omeprazole. Due to the trauma I also have fibromyalgia so experience chronic pain all over. I use paracetamol, naproxen and occasionally co codamol or ibuprofen to manage the pain best ican

Orangesandlemons77 · 11/04/2023 11:59

It is traumatic I understand. I find people don't seem to understand it and say things like that will have healed by now, or that happened a while ago now. It's permanent just like scarring on the surface.

Not sure why it is so hard to understand.

OP posts:
Orangesandlemons77 · 11/04/2023 12:00

Libby hope you get on Ok at the colonoscopy.

OP posts:
Ilikejamtarts · 19/06/2023 09:38

I have abdominal and liver adhesions which were diagnosed around 2014 but i suffered for a good few years before then.
I've found nobody really understands tbh and it's led to me becoming a bit of a recluse. For me its totally ruined my life. The medications I'm now on just for pain relief have lost me my job and on a whole its proved difficult to get another as well as having to give up On the plan of further education to get the career I would like to have. Then there's how it all affects me daily, I can barley stay awake for a full day thanks to the meds 😫

Orangesandlemons77 · 19/06/2023 12:14

I'm sorry to hear others are suffering from it so badly, I do understand. I've recently been given a diagnosis of neuralgia which is from the adhesions and also shingles which I have had more than once (which seems to have been triggered by the trauma and stress of the surgeries)

It's leaving me really tired and dopey, along with the fluoxetine for depression.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.