Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features

Chronic pain

My entire spine is stiff & painful

14 replies

ambidextrouslyout · 16/01/2022 19:29

Posting in this topic because it seems the most like my problem, although I don't have a diagnosis. When I've mentioned back pain to doctors in the past they've basically ignored me so I am scared to chase it up.

Basically I don't know how else to describe it other than my entire spine from top of neck to hips and across my hip bones hurts. It feels stiff and painful when I wake up and it doesn't get better through the day. Yoga helps to an extent. It's been getting worse for about the last 10-15 years (I'm 40). It's not so acute that it stops me doing things but it's certainly painful all the time.

Anyone have similar? What could it be? Nothing I look up seems quite right.

OP posts:

Akire · 23/01/2022 18:04

Hi sorry you not had any replies yet. Always worth going back and asking to be referred to someone something is going on there. Sadly with chronic pain when it’s not easily clear it can be long time excluding conditions or getting Gp to listen and refer to right person.


delilahbucket · 23/01/2022 18:07

Do you need a new mattress and/or pillow? These make a huge difference. Also, it is important to keep it moving. What do you do for a living? Are you sat or stood a lot? Do you do any exercise regularly other than walking? Your muscles need to be strong to maintain your posture.
Can you afford to see a private physio? Often one appointment is enough if that's all you can afford and they can diagnose and give you ongoing exercises.


Garman · 23/01/2022 18:09

Have you been to an osteopath?


smilefile · 23/01/2022 18:28

Is it worse at a specific time of day?

Does it get worse with exercise or after a long period of sitting?


Jewel1968 · 23/01/2022 18:29

Go to a good physio. In my experience of years of back pain a good physio is worth their weight in gold. I have tried everything from osteo to chiro to acupuncturists. A good physio often takes elements of all disciplines.

Finding a good one can be hard so suggest you ask local friends or use local online forums.


FindingMeno · 23/01/2022 18:31

I was referred for an xray with back pain which confirmed arthritis.
It's a pity you haven't been referred to look into it.


RosesAndHellebores · 23/01/2022 18:33

I think you have to make another Dr's appointment and say, "I have visited x number of times over x number of years and have had no resolution. My back still hurts. I wish to be referred for specialist diagnosis/intervention"

If they still trot platitudes, say ever so sweetly "I quote understand, will you please make a note that I have visited x times, and y times you have said it doesn't merit further investigation". And smile.

Bet they will refer you in nano seconds. It's all about advocacy and agency and actually beyond potential litigation they don't give a FF.


QuestionsorComments · 23/01/2022 18:36

Unfortunately I find GPs a complete waste of time for anything musculoskeletal. If you can possibly manage it I'd see an Osteopath privately. C. £50 per consultation and roughly an hour's treatment. Mine can usually sort me out in one visit but if it's something more complex he'll be honest about how long and how many visits or if he thinks some other treatment would be more appropriate, he'll give you the information you need for your GP to get a referral.


ruthypfdraper · 23/01/2022 18:39

Have you asked to be investigated for ankylosing spondylitis? It takes too long to get a diagnosis, the National ankylosing spondylitis society campaign about it. Are you better with movement?

I have AS, diagnosed age 47. But had symptoms since my mid 20s. Stiffness, often seizing up for days at a time, but always better on movement. Ask to see a rheumatologist to rule out this and other arthritis. Chronic back pain is rare under 40, I didn't know this!


ambidextrouslyout · 24/01/2022 14:59

Thank you all for your replies 🙏🏼 I think I will go back. Sometimes I think I'm just making a fuss and others I'm like no, other people don't feel like this. It would be good to get some answers. I've tried osteopathy in the past with no success. Maybe physio is a better option but I'd like to rule out an underlying condition first really

OP posts:

RainbowZebraWarrior · 26/01/2022 12:32

I'd also say this sounds like Ankylosing Spondylitis. You definitely need to be referred to a Rheumatologist.


wonderwomen1 · 28/01/2022 21:20


I was referred for an xray with back pain which confirmed arthritis.
It's a pity you haven't been referred to look into it.

What kind of X-ray did you have? Would a chest X-ray pick it up

wonderwomen1 · 28/01/2022 21:21

I had had this for years and still have it now. Stiffness, back ache and pains, bones creak. I had chest X-ray and found out I have scoliosis, apparently it's mild so nothing can be done but some days the ache/pain is really bad. I'm mid 40's


Angliski · 16/03/2023 22:56

Try mctimoney chiropractics. It’s an. Incredibly gentle form of spine alignment- they are spine experts and will give your body a chance to remember what relaxed looks and feels like x

Similar threads
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?