My feed

to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

What kind of doctor would be appropriate to look at DS' feet, which turn out a bit?

5 replies

AtheneNoctua · 24/09/2008 11:20

DS is 3 and his feet turn out, especially the right one. I am concerned. I have noticed it since he started walking, but thought he would grow out of it. Now he is 3 and the new nanny mentioned it to me this morning. And it made me think that it's not just me noticing this and he should go to a doctor. Now, fully expecting the the NHS fob off when I show up at the GP, I feel I should be informed and know what kind of referral I am asking for. I certainly don't want to let this go and then be told that it's too late and I should have done something sooner.

OP posts:
AtheneNoctua · 24/09/2008 12:45


OP posts:
Saggarmakersbottomknocker · 24/09/2008 12:46

Podiatrist ot orthotist.

Sidge · 24/09/2008 12:48

The GP may be able to refer you to a paediatric podiatrist for biomechanical assessment, and if necessary insoles for his shoes.

If the problem seems to originate from his hip or knee (ie if his gait is unusual, he swings the leg from the hip or knee rather than just turning the foot out) then you may be referred to an orthopaedic consultant.

AtheneNoctua · 24/09/2008 16:28

Can anyone recommend a reputable podiatrist in West London. I could go private at a push, but would rather get him looked at on the NHS if this is possible.

OP posts:
NorbertDentressangle · 24/09/2008 16:31

Your GP will refer you to the local NHS Paediatric Podiatry clinic

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.