My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Is the sickness bug going about again?

13 replies

mommavee · 24/11/2023 22:37

DD has been non stop vomitting the last couple hours to the point she’s now dry heaving😩 I’m assuming she has picked up a bug from somewhere, anyone else’s kids got it?

OP posts:
Hiddenvoice · 24/11/2023 23:03

My little one had it last week. Have since learned from friends that their kids have had it too but we’ve not been close to them.
I’m pregnant and my midwife said it’s the dreaded winter vomiting bug and it’s rife at the moment.
We had it just before Christmas last year too. Was horrible but least we kinda felt safe for Christmas Day. I’m now worried we’ll catch it again soon 😅

TheFairyCaravan · 24/11/2023 23:10

It’ll probably be Norovirus. It’s rife at this time of year.

mommavee · 24/11/2023 23:13

@Hiddenvoice @TheFairyCaravan thank you for your replies! I totally forgot about norovirus! Reassuring to know it’s going about I guess- otherwise I’d be guessing all night what’s wrong with my DD😩 I also have a one week old newborn, any advice how I can try and avoid dc2 catching it?😩

OP posts:
Legoblockskillfeet · 24/11/2023 23:18

Ds complained of tummy ache this afternoon but perked up after a poo.

Complained of a sore back while I was cooking tea and I thought that the tag in his clothes was itchy.

Then he laid on the floor and didn't want to get up. Convinced him to sit on my knee for tea and he was violently sick all over.

He fell asleep not long after being bathed so I am hoping that it is going to be short lived.

Hiddenvoice · 24/11/2023 23:24

Oh no @mommavee definitely not what you need just now!
No advice really but just make sure you keep drinking
to keep yourself hydrated.
I hope you and your newborn don’t catch it. If the little one does then lots of feeds and let your midwife/ health visitor know and see if they can suggest anything.

Riley1989 · 24/11/2023 23:27

Yep, unfortunately my 2 year old DD came down with this on Monday and ended up hospitalised as she vomited 23 times in 3 hrs and failed the fluid test in A&E twice even with anti sickness! It was horrendous but she has bounced back and touch wood me and DH have somehow dodged it (so far!) hope your DD feels better soon xx

Riley1989 · 24/11/2023 23:30

I washed and washed and WASHED my hands religiously and bleached everything! Was harder once we were in hospital but I used the hand sanitizer constantly and washed my hands as often as I could! I suppose that’s your best bet with DC2 and trying to keep them as separate as poss! It’s so tough but like I say me and DH haven’t caught it and it’s been 4 days since her last vomit! Wishing you all the best xxx

fourelementary · 24/11/2023 23:39

Urghh. About to head away for a city break soon and hate this talk of vomiting bugs. As pp said- hand hygiene is vital and if it’s Noro it is usually very quickly passed around. If someone avoids it or it’s a few days between passing on then unlikely to be noro- yet everyone seems to claim to hear “norovirus is rife” when really it’s just a tummy bug… which many kids get but are immune to as they get older.
Get well soon to those unwell ones… please don’t pass it on! 😷

rodarrrach · 24/11/2023 23:41

This is exactly what happened to my 10 yo last week. Lasted on and off for 12 hours. Then a good sleep and he was fine again. However, my 21/2 year old caught it and had it for 6 full days. Poor baba was all over the place. 7th day back to herself again tg. 🙏
She has started creche so picking everything up.

justanothermummma · 24/11/2023 23:48

We're into night 3 of vomiting here with DD2, the gaps are getting longer between sickness but she still isn't retaining food or liquid, it eventually reappears!

Docs have advised to keep giving water even though it comes back up and to write down wees when she has them. She's totally not herself, barely talking and very tired.

I am just waiting to see who falls victim next! Whatever it is, it's the worst sickness we've had in the house for a while, these 24 hour bugs are way less stressful than this has been!

Myridiculousstomach · 25/11/2023 14:46

fourelementary · 24/11/2023 23:39

Urghh. About to head away for a city break soon and hate this talk of vomiting bugs. As pp said- hand hygiene is vital and if it’s Noro it is usually very quickly passed around. If someone avoids it or it’s a few days between passing on then unlikely to be noro- yet everyone seems to claim to hear “norovirus is rife” when really it’s just a tummy bug… which many kids get but are immune to as they get older.
Get well soon to those unwell ones… please don’t pass it on! 😷

yes - hopefully not noro as the statistics show that it’s lower than average for the time of year at the moment and I’m hoping that will continue at least until after Christmas.

Archymum · 25/11/2023 14:48

COVID. Every time we've had it in the house, we've all been violently ill.

Gettingbysomehow · 25/11/2023 14:52

Me and half my nhs department have been off with it. We've all been as sick as dogs and we can't afford to because we are way too busy.
Its a real nasty one.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.