My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Diabetes

13 replies

Bigbobbins · 23/11/2023 21:53

Hi all…

I am probably over reaction and jumping to conclusions but im concerned over my 7 year old. This week she really hasnt been right, managed to go to school two days but on the second day she came out looking very grey and complaining of a bad head, even asked for medicine which is unheard of, got home from school and slept all evening, been off the rest if the week very lethargic 80% of the time, has and hour or so of charging about the falls asleep again.Been asleep most of the time ao hard to tell if drinking more but whilst awake is saying im thirsty and getting up in the night for a drink. Over the last few weeks ive noticed they have got thin looking and dark bags under eyes. Anyone of any experience of symptoms before diagnosis willing to share there journey id be grateful to hear them, would weightloss be the first thing that would present…

I have of course tried the GP who said over the phone it sounds viral and im probably being overly anxious.

OP posts:
nocoolnamesleft · 23/11/2023 22:04

If you honestly think diabetes, then go to A&E tonight. (The usual symptoms are increased thirst, increased urination, weight loss).

HamsterBanana · 23/11/2023 22:05

As a parent whose child nearly died of DKA from type one eariler this year, go to a&e ask them to do a blood glucose test and go NOW.

HamsterBanana · 23/11/2023 22:18

Please let us know what a&e say.

Diabetes
coxesorangepippin · 23/11/2023 22:19

What a pp said

Diabetes? A and e, not messing around on MN ffs

youhavenoidea123 · 23/11/2023 22:20

Parent of a type 1. Please don't wait, go and check it out at A&E.

Fairylou123123 · 23/11/2023 22:28

My son had these symptoms just over 1 year ago and was rushed to hospital by me after the GP didn't take us seriously. I was told if I hadn't of brought him in then he would of died. Please take your child to A and E now. This sounds like type 1 diabetes.

han01uk · 23/11/2023 22:31

Type 1 here, diagnosed aged 8. Thirst, lethargy, peeing more, pale, irritable, weight loss are all symptoms. The check is done in 10 seconds and could literally save your child's life. Please get to A&E and describe the symptoms as you have here. Good luck.

MothralovesGojira · 23/11/2023 23:01

Yep, I'm another parent whose GP surgery nearly killed their child by saying that type 1 diabetes was 'just a virus'. Our surgery made us wait 4 weeks for a routine appointment even after I listed the 4 T's to them. By the time we had the appointment my DC had lost 40% of their body weight and was blue lighted to hospital. I wish that I had just ignored the surgery and taken them to A&E straightaway and saved my child the trauma of having to have emergency treatment.
Please take your DD to A&E now because despite better awareness GP surgeries are STILL ignoring the 4 T's. My DC was aged 7 when diagnosed and had identical symptoms to your DD but with sudden bed wetting and a constant hunger too. I wish you luck x

nocoolnamesleft · 24/11/2023 01:21

MothralovesGojira · 23/11/2023 23:01

Yep, I'm another parent whose GP surgery nearly killed their child by saying that type 1 diabetes was 'just a virus'. Our surgery made us wait 4 weeks for a routine appointment even after I listed the 4 T's to them. By the time we had the appointment my DC had lost 40% of their body weight and was blue lighted to hospital. I wish that I had just ignored the surgery and taken them to A&E straightaway and saved my child the trauma of having to have emergency treatment.
Please take your DD to A&E now because despite better awareness GP surgeries are STILL ignoring the 4 T's. My DC was aged 7 when diagnosed and had identical symptoms to your DD but with sudden bed wetting and a constant hunger too. I wish you luck x

Yeah, 3 times so far in my career I've seen GPs send through a referral for "clinic within a couple of weeks", we've looked at the referral, thought "fuck it could be diabetes" and got them in to the ward same day. Two of them it was, so really glad we caught it. I think some of the more adult orientated GPs are in type 2 diabetes mindset, whereas in kids it's the rapid decompensation in type 1 that we're worried about.

Fairylou123123 · 24/11/2023 15:19

Hope all is okay? Did you go to A and E?

Bigbobbins · 26/11/2023 07:00

Hi all, went to A&E not diabetes but did have a nasty infection so given some iv antibiotics and a weeks worth to take home, thank you all for your advise 😁

OP posts:
MothralovesGojira · 26/11/2023 10:47

@Bigbobbins

That's excellent news for your DD. Type 1 diabetes is a horrible life long condition so you must be relieved but at least you are now aware of the 4T's and that may save someone's life one day.
Wishing you all the best and I hope your DD gets well soon 🙂

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.