My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Going out with impetigo

6 replies

Daisypod · 21/11/2023 09:47

Ds3 was diagnosed with impetigo yesterday and is on oral antibiotics.
Obviously not able to go to pre school now for a few days.
He is undergoing assessments for Asd and adhd and keeping him in the house is horrible, he just gets more and more energetic and destructive.
Would it be terrible if I took him to a local country park? No play area so he wouldn't be touching things others would use, literally just trees and wide open spaces. Quite a lot of dog walkers but he doesn't go near dogs.
I'm feeling really torn.
Wwyd?

OP posts:
YouAndMeAndThem · 21/11/2023 09:53

That is absolutely fine, the risk of passing it on would be miniscule!

Daisypod · 21/11/2023 09:54

Thanks. I have 5 kids and never experienced impetigo before so feel rather out of my depth!

OP posts:
eurochick · 21/11/2023 09:59

Take him out. It's fine.

My daughter gets impetigo every time there is any sort of scratch on her face. If we kept her off every time she had it she would be in school about 10% of the time. We tend to keep her at home until any weeping areas start to heal and then send her in. To the best of my knowledge no classmates have caught it and the kids in our nanny share have never caught it (we would know about it as we see them daily) despite being in very close contact.

Ukholidaysaregreat · 21/11/2023 10:01

I think the main thing is not to share towels. So as long as you aren't planning to leave a trail of towels round the country park all should be well. 🤣🤣🤣__

idealgift · 21/11/2023 10:06

go for it and enjoy

Superscientist · 21/11/2023 11:04

My daughter was diagnosed on a Saturday morning and by Sunday morning it had pretty much gone. She was back at nursery Mon lunchtime 48h from starting antibiotics. Some places I saw said after 24h on antibiotics the infection risk is significantly reduced. Quiet areas with good hand hygiene and things you should be fine.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.