My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Tonsillectomy help

12 replies

Tangofantastic · 13/11/2023 10:14

what tips do you have for what I’ll need for surgery? Feeling really anxious and overwhelmed ☹️
my dd7 is having her’s out next week. I’m a single mum with a child aged 9 with additional needs at home too. I’ve got his carer booked for the 24 hours I’ll be in hospital with my DD.
plan to stock up on calpol/ibuprofen and get a few days worth of meals made and Frozen so I don’t have to cook each day. i know it’s meant to be a rough first week of recovery. Any good tips to get us through it would be so welcome, thank you 💞

OP posts:
Superscientist · 13/11/2023 11:21

You want a mix of foods that are nice on a sore throat and those that are scratchy and help the throat to heal.
Ease up to normal food over the first few days. My mum gave me a full roast dinner the day I got home from hospital and couldn't manage any of it. My sister sorted me some ice cream and then that was followed by toast to help my throat
I developed a mild post op infections so my recover was slightly longer but within the first week I was back to normal food and quantities. I can't tell you exactly how long though. I had 2 weeks off school and for the second week I was doing complete activities. I don't know if they still recommend two weeks off school

Plan some your dd favourite foods for a few days after the surgery.

Tangofantastic · 13/11/2023 11:45

Thank you so so much. I’ll stick up on favourite foods this weekend. Really helpful to know what you could and couldn’t manage.
I’ve Been advised she’ll be off school for 2 weeks. can I ask what symptoms you had that were mild post-op infection and not just healing symptoms?

OP posts:
Superscientist · 13/11/2023 11:57

I kept being sick and had a high fever

Superscientist · 13/11/2023 11:58

I don't remember the details because it was traumatic it's just the way my memory works!

Tangofantastic · 13/11/2023 12:02

Thank you so much

OP posts:
JustFrustrated · 13/11/2023 12:05

The advice is to feed as normal, entirely normal foods.

This is because the foods take the Slough off the tonsils and this helps prevent infection.

Dd1 had hers out last year, and by day two was feeling much better and by day 7 entirely fine.

We followed the advice strictly, and this aided her recovery

The two full weeks off school was the killer.

Gettingcoldergettingolder · 13/11/2023 12:06

Following as DD having hers out mid December. We’ve been advised a week off school and no clubs/sports for 2 weeks. Her surgeon really stated that surgical techniques have changed a lot over the years (since I had mine out 25 years ago) and it’s much less painful/quicker recovery. I’m really hoping that’s the case! Planning the first couple of days to be lots of smoothies/milkshakes/lolly’s then build up.

Ylvamoon · 13/11/2023 12:06

When ny DD had hers out, we were advised to give her crisps,
Ice cream and easy foods like soup & toast.

Tangofantastic · 13/11/2023 12:15

Gettingcoldergettingolder · 13/11/2023 12:06

Following as DD having hers out mid December. We’ve been advised a week off school and no clubs/sports for 2 weeks. Her surgeon really stated that surgical techniques have changed a lot over the years (since I had mine out 25 years ago) and it’s much less painful/quicker recovery. I’m really hoping that’s the case! Planning the first couple of days to be lots of smoothies/milkshakes/lolly’s then build up.

this is so helpful, thank you and I hope your DD recovers quickly 🥰

OP posts:
peachescariad · 13/11/2023 12:15

My DS 21 had them out last year. He could only eat jelly pots and those long ice pop things and pints of squash - he was in a very bad way as I think it's worse as an adult because of so much scarring and infection behind the tonsils....I won't go into details of what surgeon found.

Tangofantastic · 13/11/2023 12:17

peachescariad · 13/11/2023 12:15

My DS 21 had them out last year. He could only eat jelly pots and those long ice pop things and pints of squash - he was in a very bad way as I think it's worse as an adult because of so much scarring and infection behind the tonsils....I won't go into details of what surgeon found.

Oh that sounds awful ☹️☹️I’m nervous as she’s had so many infections and her tonsils are very
far
back apparently 🤷‍♀️I’ll get lots of squash and ice pops in. I’ve heard fruit and fruit juice are big no -no‘s as it’s acidic so really hurts.

OP posts:
Tangofantastic · 13/11/2023 12:18

JustFrustrated · 13/11/2023 12:05

The advice is to feed as normal, entirely normal foods.

This is because the foods take the Slough off the tonsils and this helps prevent infection.

Dd1 had hers out last year, and by day two was feeling much better and by day 7 entirely fine.

We followed the advice strictly, and this aided her recovery

The two full weeks off school was the killer.

That’s really reassuring that she was feeling better on day 2, thank you. Yes I surprised to hear it’s 2
whole weeks off school, proving so hard with work 😵‍💫

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.