My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Rash around toddlers mouth

12 replies

SB1712 · 13/04/2023 17:59

Hi

My 22 month old has a rash around her mouth. It comes and goes, but it’s always there even when it fades or gets slightly better. Crisps or salty snacks seem to aggravate it but it never goes completely.

The doctors have prescribed us a steroid cream, both Timodene and hydrocortisone on separate visits. Timodene helps but it returns, I haven’t tried the hydrocortisone because I’m not comfortable with using steroids on her face especially this close to her mouth.
Other things I’ve used are disprobase, Vaseline and la Roche posay lipikar.

Has anyone else’s child had anything similar? Did anything work to get rid of it? This has been going on 2-3 months now. The doctor just wants me to continue with steroids.

Rash around toddlers mouth
OP posts:
Res_Ipsa · 13/04/2023 18:23

I'd like to follow this because I'm having the exact same issue with my toddler! I'm taking him to the doctor in the morning.

SB1712 · 13/04/2023 18:28

The doctor has said it’s eczema and it just doesn’t feel like that to me?
it feels like some sort of contact dermatitis? Let me know how you get on with your GP Res!

OP posts:
Lollygaggle · 13/04/2023 18:40

Saliva eczema. It's where they are licking/dribbling and or have a dummy .
Cover with Vaseline, tends to come and go , will be worse when teething.

saliva is very irritant to skin.

Lollygaggle · 13/04/2023 18:44

Also known as lip lickers dermatitis!

SB1712 · 13/04/2023 18:45

Lollygaggle · 13/04/2023 18:40

Saliva eczema. It's where they are licking/dribbling and or have a dummy .
Cover with Vaseline, tends to come and go , will be worse when teething.

saliva is very irritant to skin.

I’ve thought this a few times but any type of cream/Vaseline I put on doesn’t help long term. It does get better slightly as in less angry but hours later it’ll be inflamed again.

OP posts:
NeonHalo · 13/04/2023 18:58

My 27 month old has the identical issue and has for months! It comes and goes but always worse when he’s got a cold (so assume aggravated by snot/saliva). Let me know if you find anything that helps!

Bbh3 · 19/07/2023 19:31

Hi, I’m just wondering if anyone got any answers to this! ( i know the thread is few month old) My daughter is 28 months and has the same rash, she’s had it for approx 3 months. Iv noticed she’s slavering more and it seems to be aggravated by this. She’s not had a dummy or anything with a teat since turning 1. She’s had all her teeth inc molars since 19 month old. We just can’t fingers out why it’s there. We too have been prescribed cream from the GP and the latest one being a steroid cream which we used sparingly for the 5 days with no change. Vaseline does help a little but don’t shift it. Sone days it’s aggressive looking some days very faint. The odd time we gave noticed a few of the spots under her nose. They always seem to be wet, not dry or crusty. Doctor first tried to make out it was impertigo but my personal opinion told me it weren’t, then we had the it could be eczema but again was more wet, and then one doctor said she could have hay fever and producing more saliva ( did have red eyes and sneezing at the time) I’m forever wiping her mouth and it’s just not going or improving after all this time. Hoping someone has had a diagnosis. Thanks for reading

C324 · 27/10/2023 12:35

Hi there!
My daughter has the exact same thing. She is 3 1/2 years old and has never used a pacifier or sucked fingers, etc.
I did notice that it appeared right when we started transitioning from summer to autumn, so perhaps it has something to do with the dry weather?
Anyone have any luck with natural cures or gentle creams? I use Weleda Calendula face cream on and off before bedtime and it seems to help a tiny bit.

Superscientist · 27/10/2023 16:53

C324 · 27/10/2023 12:35

Hi there!
My daughter has the exact same thing. She is 3 1/2 years old and has never used a pacifier or sucked fingers, etc.
I did notice that it appeared right when we started transitioning from summer to autumn, so perhaps it has something to do with the dry weather?
Anyone have any luck with natural cures or gentle creams? I use Weleda Calendula face cream on and off before bedtime and it seems to help a tiny bit.

Hydromol is my go to cream for rashes like this. It's like a thicker vaseline and good when you need a barrier cream to protect against rashes potentially caused by snot and saliva

C324 · 28/10/2023 07:14

Thank you! Will give it a try fo sure.
It looks topical and not too serious, so a gentle barrier cream should hopefully be effective!

SB1712 · 28/10/2023 10:16

This is exactly what we used and it went away with perseverance 🙂

OP posts:
Vmh2506 · 23/11/2023 23:16

Hi guys, looks like perioral dermatitis, any steroid cream or heavy based cream containing paraffin or petroleum will ease symptoms at first but usually keeps coming back.

I’ve just ordered epimax paraffin free ointment as the nurse at the GPs didn’t listen to me and prescribed my little on steroid cream and doublebase for eczema when I know it’s not that. Reason being I had been using cetraben and e45 eczema repair cream and it hasn’t gone away in the last 2 months, then yesterday my mum put sudocrem on it and this made it really inflamed and looked like a burn mark around his mouth and he complained how sore it was, so it must’ve been because it’s such a heavy cream.

All info I found was on here https://patient.info/skin-conditions/skin-rashes/perioral-dermatitis

going to try get another appointment but with a doctor after a week to see if I can get one of the antibiotic ointments they’ve listed on the site

Will post how I get on with the epimax cream though, did lots of research and that seemed like the best one (you’d be surprised how many creams do contain paraffin as a main ingredient).

my little one is nearly 3 and never had anything like this before, so it’s strange it’s happened now.

Perioral Dermatitis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

Perioral dermatitis is a common skin rash. In this leaflet we'll outline potential causes, symptoms, and perioral dermatitis treatment. Written by a GP.

https://patient.info/skin-conditions/skin-rashes/perioral-dermatitis

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.