My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Lump behind ear

12 replies

Dee084 · 09/04/2023 19:15

My 7 yr old has today started complaining of pain behind her ear, this morning when I looked I couldn’t see anything there. However, I’ve just looked again and a lump has appeared and I’m abit worried. She has no soreness at the front of her ear or inside, and has no discharge coming from her ear either. Any ideas would be much appreciated?

Lump behind ear
OP posts:
user1497643032 · 10/04/2023 01:27

I have something like this behind my left ear since i was a child & I'm 40 now & no concrete answer from different doctors
All I know is that I do sometimes get pain there
& I just take paracetamol & rest

Not ideal not to have an answer from doctors but I gave up after consulting @ least 4 different doctors about it

I am eager to read what you find out

HiKelsey · 10/04/2023 01:33

Isn't it one of her lymph nodes? She may be getting ill if so

RedSpeckledHen · 10/04/2023 01:37

Please go to A&E, or at least call 111. My niece had something similar (growth behind the ear), went to to gp and was blue lighted gif emergency neurosurgery. She is 100% fine, but they needed to remove it urgently to prevent the growth putting pressure on her brain.

Is this the same thing? I have no idea, quite likely not, but given the potential consequences not worth the risk.

greenspaces4peace · 10/04/2023 01:45

i’d guess swollen lymph node and suspect a viral illness over the next 7-10 days.

Whiskeypowers · 10/04/2023 02:18

Don’t want to be alarmist but that could be the start of mastoiditis which requires prompt medical attention

Blossomandblooms · 11/04/2023 13:21

I'd say it was a lymph node, likely activated after a bug. My DD had one on christmas day and it was very obvious and painful. It did take weeks to go down. You have a chain of lymph nodes running in chains down you ears / collar bones, arm pit and ribs (as well as groin) and children can exhibit marked swelling caused by illness (my son had one the size of an egg on his groin following cutting his knee at the skate park).

How is she in herself? I would pop along to the GP and get them to lay their hands on it and see what they say, but try not to worry.

Mom123456789 · 28/05/2023 18:46

Just wondering if you figured out what this ended up being?

NicolaK90 · 29/05/2023 21:47

Hi, just wondering if you found out as I found a lump in the same place and worried! Thanks

McNally123 · 28/09/2023 10:46

Did you ever find out what this was?

Thankgodforwine · 28/09/2023 12:41

My son has a lump behind the same ear that started off like the lump pictured, I took him to the GP and he said it was a cyst and just to leave it ....over the years it has got bigger and bigger and his ear is sticking out so I took him back to the GP in January this year and he has been referred to plastic surgery to have it removed.....I called the other day to see where he is on the list and he's on page one and number 35 on the list so hopefully after Christmas he will get it removed. I first took him to the GP when he was about 10 and now he's nearly 15 but the Dr is still sure it's a cyst

newusern1 · 28/09/2023 12:51

DS had this when he had scarlet fever. Keep an eye out for a rash/ check throat for petechia

Bussllyyub · 23/11/2023 22:05

this calmed me down a bit, I accidentally found two small lumps behind my ear that are not visible to the naked eye, the doctor doesn't pay attention to it. but I've been worrying for a year now because I keep wondering what could happen. your post calms me down a bit.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.