My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Elevated B12 in 5 years old

18 replies

Hope2040 · 31/01/2020 21:06

Hello,

My 5 years old daughter have very high B12 the test results 1200, 1300 and now its 1400 ..all the other blood test are normal but why the vitamin is keep increasing its drive me crazy , the doctors dont know the reasons for this.. she dont eat that much.. i google it and some sitew suggest changa diet avoid food which is high in b12 and drink more water.. I forgot to mention i gave her multi vitamin for 2 months because she dont eat fruits and vegetables ( i cut some zucchini and pumpkin and cook it with her food ( hide it actually) .. Does any one have this problem ?

OP posts:
LeGrandBleu · 31/01/2020 21:35

I have some questions for you:

Why did you test her in the first place. Was she unwell?

Was she taking these vitamins while being tested or was she tested after taking the vitamins?

Were the vitamins gummies type? Any chance of her sneaking and taking more as they look like candy ? How many ug of B12 is listed on the packet?

Most importantly : such high levels of B12 are unlikely linked to food, so have the doctors investigated kidney or liver conditions or blood disorders? If not, you should go back and insist for them to find the cause of her hypercobalaminemia (high b12) , especially as it is still rising.

Hope2040 · 31/01/2020 22:08

Why did you test her in the first place. Was she unwell?
They did check up for her (the healthcare do it once in a year).. she is normal 5 years old..

Was she taking these vitamins while being tested or was she tested after taking the vitamins?

Actually we did it after 2 months from taking it (she took the multivitamins syrup which contain b12 with other vitamins )

Were the vitamins gummies type? No.. Any chance of her sneaking and taking more as they look like candy ? No ,How many ug of B12 is listed on the packet? I don’t remember almost one year i gave her.. and i take her every 3 months to check the level of the vitamin..

Most importantly : such high levels of B12 are unlikely linked to food. ( i google it and many studies shows it related to food especially she love yogurt in every meal and meat and fish she like the most)..so have the doctors investigated kidney or liver conditions or blood disorders? Yes and thank god its all normal they even do tests they do for people who are heavy drink alcohol .. If not, you should go back and insist for them to find the cause of her hypercobalaminemia (high b12) , especially as it is still rising

OP posts:
LeGrandBleu · 31/01/2020 23:03

Can you link these studies because it makes no sense .

You can't reach 1400 levels with food, unless you have a serious illness causing dysfunction of the binding process and receptors. I take a 1000 mcg b12 every other day and my blood levels are half hers.

PonderLand · 04/02/2020 14:04

Hi @Hope2040 my son (3yo) had a blood test in October due to several health issues - weight loss and disturbed sleep with night sweats been my main worries. He had elevated b12 as well as basophils, neutrophils and slightly increased platelets. He's never had vitamin supplements so I'm concerned too. I seem to be the only one who is concerned though as the doctor said it wasn't anything to worry about... They never asked if he takes a supplement so maybe they assumed he did. We are going back in February to see the doctor as his health issues are still on going since July. Sorry I'm not much help at all but it also worries me

BeaZK · 07/02/2020 23:26

@PonderLand have you had the appt yet? My daughter has passed elevated b12 and weight loss as well as digestive issues. I’m trying to contain it but my anxiety is eating me up! I cannot stand not knowing

PonderLand · 08/02/2020 01:59

@BeaZK it's on the 25th. It's hard isn't it. We tried to get a new paediatrician to investigate with the help of our gp but the referral got declined and they've sent us an appt with the same paediatrician but with instructions to investigate apparently! I'm sure this is just to shut me up which is fine by me. How long has your daughter been going through it? When did she get the high b12? My sons weight fluctuates a lot, his bowels are constantly changing too. I try not to think about it now as worrying gets me nowhere. If it was anything serious I think I'd know by now so I just tell myself that.

PonderLand · 08/02/2020 02:02

@BeaZK did anything else show up on your daughters bloods? My son had elevated neutrophils, basophils and platelets were just over the range too.

BeaZK · 08/02/2020 15:33

@PonderLand we only had the bloods done on Tuesday and the results yesterday. The doctor said her bloods are normal except her b12 is high then added “very high”. I asked if it was anything to be concerned about and she said “I don’t know”...WHAAAT? She said I must wait for the hosp referral. I rang the hospital who said they have the referral but no appts to offer us. Madness! She does have a daily supplement but I don’t really think that is the cause. I did read somewhere in my googling that digestive issues can cause b12 to elevate which then causes poor digestion which then becomes a vicious circle - pray for both of us that it is that. I haven’t over googled as the snippets I have seen that scare me would finish me off!

PonderLand · 08/02/2020 21:52

@BeaZK does the doctor know she is on a daily vitamin? From what I've read online if you supplement b12 then it can cause high levels in a blood test.

BeaZK · 08/02/2020 22:21

@PonderLand she has had a few blood tests this past year and a half as initially had low iron. I have assumed b12 is defected as part of a full blood count and it has never been flagged as high before (she had been taking the supplements even then). I know I need to talk these things out with someone who is trained and has the information to hand, but the gp we saw yesterday made me feel like she “didn’t know” anything and therefore didn’t see the point in discussing it any further.

Nfixon · 04/09/2022 21:52

Hi did you ever get to bottom of this

Loocheeyar · 04/09/2022 21:56

My son has this and I was asking for him to be tested for the genetic mutation mthfr he has autism
so maybe something to do with methylating i read but unsure
gp wasn’t fussed at all and no one was interested in following it up !
hos were 1600 over many months of blood results
weird

Nfixon · 04/09/2022 22:02

My son also had autism this is why he got sent for bloods and gentic testing that’s really high tho my son got to have bloods done again in 3 months is your kids ok now

Nfixon · 04/09/2022 22:02

@Loocheeyar

Loocheeyar · 04/09/2022 22:58

He has had bloods redone and again the same result but no one seems fussed ! I think it must be down to how he processes things as he doesn’t take any supplements. It’s v strange but he doesn’t appear unhealthy his kidney results etc are ok

gertrudemortimer · 05/09/2022 09:53

Hi I commented on this thread as ponderland. Interesting your kids have autism my son is on the SEN register but we've never had him assessed for anything as of yet. I'm not sure where to begin with that I'll probably speak to school about it this year as he was below average in everything last year and I'm a bit panicked he isn't getting the correct support despite the extra help. He's 6 now and going in to year 2.

Just to put your minds at some ease my son is okay we never got to the bottom of the high b12 and I was reassured it's nothing to worry about.

Tanni370000 · 26/11/2023 07:12

Hi did you ever find out the reason for elevated b12? Currently going through the same. Thanks!

Loocheeyar · 31/01/2024 19:22

No we didn’t
something to do with how it is metabolised I think
mthfr gene

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.