My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Large lump on back of DDs head

22 replies

supercalifragilistic123 · 20/06/2019 19:09

Name changed for obvious reasons...

I was just giving DD a bath and I noticed she's got a huge lump on the back of her head.

I'm pretty sure she's not bumped it, I'm just waiting on a call back from 111. Has anybody any experience of this?

It feels like normal skull, she's fine in herself. Maybe a little grumpy and off food but that's not unusual for her.

Large lump on back of DDs head
OP posts:
FlatPackPat · 20/06/2019 19:12

Blimey OP that is a bump. Glad youve already called 111 but I'd expect they'll suggest a trip to a&e if I'm honest.

She could have bumped it without you realising but I would've thought with a bump that big she would have cried. Have you been with her all day?

Love her hair!

mustdrivesoon · 20/06/2019 19:15

OMG I would go to A&E with that. On 111 they truly won't appreciate the size of it

GoodStuffAnnie · 20/06/2019 19:15

I thought cystic hygroma. Benign lumps part of lymphatic system. I have them. They can come up and go down v quickly.

Isadora2007 · 20/06/2019 19:19

Oh bless her. What gorgeous hair. I hope you get some answers soon.

QuickQuestion2019 · 20/06/2019 19:24

Agree, go to A and E and get checked. She probably just bumped it without you realising and they'll just check her.

Kids get lumps the size of bloody golf balls at that age

Aquamarine1029 · 20/06/2019 19:26

I am normally very relaxed about the odd bump and bruise, but I would be going to a&e immediately over that. I wouldn't even bother with 111. They can't possibly give an accurate diagnosis over the phone. This is her head/brain we're talking about.

WellVersedInEtiquette · 20/06/2019 19:30

I'm the same as the above poster but I would get that checked out. She's got lovely hair op (which I know that's not what this is about)
Let us know how you get on x

Lindy2 · 20/06/2019 19:30

That is quite a bump.
I would also be wanting that to be looked at. When do you think it appeared?

JasperTheFriendlyGhost · 20/06/2019 19:31

yes go to A&E

anitagreen · 20/06/2019 22:54

Hope she's okShock

supercalifragilistic123 · 20/06/2019 23:24

Just back from a and e.

Apparently it's the natural shape of her head BlushConfused

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I'm sure I'd have noticed before. I also feel very embarrassed for wasting their time.

Thanks for the comments about her hair Grin I love it! At least she can use it to cover her head...

OP posts:
PJ67 · 21/06/2019 00:16

My niece and nephew have bumps like that which you don't notice due to their hair. When I felt my nieces head a while back I felt a bit panicked and got my sister worried so she took her to the GP but it turned out it was just the shape of her head. It's funny how they can have something like that and you suddenly just notice it. Glad everything's okay.

Bourdic · 21/06/2019 00:33

Please don’t be embarrassed - you did what you thought was right. The possibility of ignoring something serious doesn’t bear thinking about.

HippyChickMama · 21/06/2019 09:49

How old is she @supercalifragilistic123? The shape of the skull can still change up until around 31 months after birth so it may change

supercalifragilistic123 · 21/06/2019 11:20

She's 13mo. Her fontanell (sp?) is still open so I'm hoping it will change.

The dr said that babies heads change all the time and it may have only been like that for a month or so. I don't wash her hair that regularly so I guess I must have missed it.

Thanks for the reassurance. Even the triage nurse was shocked at how big it is! She was talking about child protection issues to have a bump so big and not know how she got it. Made me feel a bit shit, but it wasn't a bump so I hope I don't get a social services call.

At least she's ok. Was a bit of a fright.

OP posts:
FlatPackPat · 21/06/2019 12:35

So glad it all got sorted @supercalifragilistic123 and that it wasn't anything serious. Agree that you did the right thing by taking her in, I would've done exactly the same in your position!!

Fairylea · 21/06/2019 12:37

Dds head was and is exactly like that- as soon as I read the title of your post I wondered if it was the same as I did the same thing and went to a and e when she was little! She is now a fit and healthy 16 year old Grin

memaymamo · 21/06/2019 12:38

What a gorgeous little head Halo. She's adorable.

Glad that it all seems okay.

supercalifragilistic123 · 21/06/2019 13:17

Thanks fairylea I'm not the only one Grin

That's made me feel a lot better!

OP posts:
sic2021 · 03/01/2022 03:06

Hi!! I know you had replied here years ago, but I have a 2yo and have noticed a lump shaped thing on back of his head. We are taking him to dr tomorrow to get some scans done hopefully, worried about possible missed sagittal synostosis. was curious if anything ever came of your daughter?

Alexiavela · 18/10/2023 03:39

Hi, what was the outcome for your baby? My boy is about to be 2, and I was also worried about missed saguaro craniosynotosis. Doctors last year were not concerned. But the lump is still very prominent.

supercalifragilistic123 · 14/11/2023 07:44

Nothing ever came of it.

I was slightly concerned about some sort of craniostenosis but trying to see a GP during the pandemic was near on impossible!

She's 5 now and has hit all her milestones, I think it's literally the shape of her head. My husband reckons I've got a funny shaped head too 😂

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.