My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Do you know any books about flowers?

21 replies

ChocolateGirl · 10/01/2009 21:45

Preferably fiction, picture books for older children (like, Age 7), that feature families growing flowers or take place against a background of flowers, and have illustrations of flowers.

Or just text...

And recommendations for non-fiction about growing flowers from seeds/bulbs.

(Am trainee teacher looking for something to use in Yr 3 class).

Any offers greatly appreciated. Thank you!

OP posts:
Bink · 10/01/2009 21:51

Not flowers, I'm afraid, nor indeed whole families, and maybe a little elementary for year 3 (?), but Walker's Jody's Beans is a through-the-seasons story about a girl growing beans from seed.

I remember it as being rather sweet. (Dd currently asleep in room where it is, so can't look at it again. However, it is definitely marketed as something for curriculum use, as well as reading at home etc.)

Bink · 10/01/2009 21:53

I might do a bit of James and the Giant Peach, to go off-piste a little.

RiaParkinson · 10/01/2009 21:59

chocolate girl we have the most most beautiful book about flowers

too cold to get out of bed to look at the name

will ask dp in a minute

RiaParkinson · 10/01/2009 22:05

aptly titled

one of the reviews says 'i bought it for my 3 year old' do not be put off by that as it is inappropriate

it is suitable for a year 2 class

WhereTheWildThingsWere · 10/01/2009 22:05

What about this?

RiaParkinson · 10/01/2009 22:07

we also have this although is a carrot a flower hmm

Racingsnake · 10/01/2009 22:13

If you are planning to read to them, how about The Secret Garden? Then show the film at the end of term? Or you could do lits of literacy work based on short extracts of the film. Writing dialogue, using speech marks, using adjectives, character studies ... You could then make seed packets (d&t), make a map of the garden ... Loads of potential!

teafortwo · 10/01/2009 22:21

Mmm... I was just thinking that too racingsnake... I found a good version too for yr3 because it has THE most beautiful pictures...

www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Garden-Frances-Hodgson-Burnett/dp/1406318507/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21 =1231625922&sr=8-11

teafortwo · 10/01/2009 22:24

I have used a really good non fiction book called 'Flowers' too - but I can't remember who the publisher is and can't find it on Amazon!

chocolategirl - what are you planning on doing with the book/s? - It will help us know what to look out for.

RiaParkinson · 10/01/2009 22:26

lovely

teafortwo · 10/01/2009 22:30

That book looks simply wonderful riaparkinson!!!

Cadelaide · 10/01/2009 22:32

this one?

Not fiction but lovely illustrations and informative.

RiaParkinson · 10/01/2009 22:37

teafortwo (sobs) that means a lot to me - my dream is to set up my own kids book shop

i love them - gawd i love them!

ChocolateGirl · 10/01/2009 22:48

Fab! Thank you all! Don't really know what I'm going to do with them yet... will work on that! But thanks for all those fab ideas.

OP posts:
teafortwo · 10/01/2009 22:57

Oh I love children's books too.

When I first saw this I nearly cried too... I have used it with yr 3 and they loved it... esp the boys!!!

www.amazon.co.uk/Fairie-Ality-Fashion-Collection-Eugenie-Bird/dp/0763614130/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=boo&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21 ks&qid=1231628116&sr=8-1

Racingsnake · 10/01/2009 23:07

Really????

Actually, y3 boys probably are ok with it - maybe not at y4 though!

I love children's books too. When we go to a bookshop dh goes to the travel books and I head straight for the children's section.

Racingsnake · 10/01/2009 23:08

sometimes

RiaParkinson · 10/01/2009 23:23

lol racing!

Teafortwo

do you really think boys would enjoy that...

( i have a lot of boy children but i am a girl iykwim )

teafortwo · 11/01/2009 12:18

Well I bought it... just left it in the bookcase and first a girl said "Miss T42 may I take it home tonight?" I said "Yes. Of course." At the time I let them take any of my books home because the school library was under construction!

The next day her Mother came in with the book and said "This is so beautiful. Where did you get it? I want to buy a copy!" Some boys in my class were hanging around helping set up the classroom and chatting. I enthusiastically told her I thought so too and I was glad they enjoyed it. The little girl showed me her favourite pages. At the end of the day one of the boys had the book in his hand and said "Can I take this home tonight?" "No! Called one of the others I wanted it!" "Can I take it home tomorrow night?" Called another one of the same group of boys.

Racingsnake · 11/01/2009 20:36

How wonderful.

One thing I miss about being part time and sharing a class is that I no longer get to choose books for them or spend time in the schools' library service depot, which was not far from my school.

A suprise hit was this, even with y4.

Sadly, my school has now chosen to opt out of the library service, to save money, on the grounds that the school has all the books necessary to teach our topics. Which to my mind misses most of the major purposes of books. And for a lot of the only person who will ever enthuse them about books is their teacher. (Rant over. Can I be a buyer for your children's book shop?)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.