My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Mummy laid an egg by Babette Cole - thoughts on this book

7 replies

Madsometimes · 19/03/2008 14:07

My 7.5 dd has been asking me about sex recently. My explanation that sex is a special cuddle that mummy and daddy have which can make a baby grow in a mummy's tummy was totally inadequate and I know that she is still confused. The problem is that now she is in the juniors she is hearing all sorts of nonsense in the playground, so I think I would prefer her to have the facts.

dh and I have decided to get a book. I know Mummy laid an egg deals with sex for this age group, but that it can get quite explicit. I don't know if there is a bit too much information in this book, or if I just need to lighten up a bit and deal with it.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this, or indeed any suggestions for other books that deal with sex education for 7 year olds.

OP posts:
princessmel · 19/03/2008 14:09

I've read it. I was a bit shocked tbh! I didn't expect all the pictures of the different positions.
But its good as its funny and light hearted.

Bobbiewickham · 19/03/2008 14:10

Where Willy Went is much better.

Don't be put off by the title. Willy is a cute little sperm character who is very good at swimming

Hate the Babette Cole one. Has people shagging on skateboards, iirc.

caughtintheact · 19/03/2008 14:22

I had The Body Book by Claire Rayner when I was about 7-8 (I think!). I still remember the book - it covers sex and reproduction but also the digestive system, ageing and other stuff. It's a great book, just the right amount of detail.

geekgirl · 19/03/2008 15:57

I like it, but I think it's aimed at younger children really. Don't think it's too much info - I think it's very good at making light of it IYSWIM.
At 7 however I'd aim something that a bit more factual.

SorenLorensen · 19/03/2008 16:05

Where Willy Went is a lovely book.

I can't stand Babette Cole. I don't know why - I know she's very popular - but I don't like any of the books of hers I've read.

imaginaryfriend · 26/03/2008 23:10

I hate this book. The illustrations are vile and the scenario is ridiculous.

RosaIsRed · 26/03/2008 23:43

There isn't nearly enough information for a seven year old in Mummy Laid an Egg. I wouldn't exactly call it graphic either. Personally I would just tell her the facts. As far as books go my children rather liked my pregnancy book which had photographs of babies in the womb.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.