My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Do boys read these books?

16 replies

FixItUpChappie · 20/09/2021 00:47

Okay so I'm just curious before I get totally flamed....I still read to my 8yr old and nearly 11yr old and they are loving the "Land of Stories" books by Chris Colfer. These fraternal twins travel into a book of fairy tales and discover a world there within. Mostly the characters are the various princesses - Snow White, Sleeping Beauty etc. I find the books so far pretty basic but the boys seem to be very excited about them.

My eldest has to do a presentation on his favourite book for school and wants to pick this book series. Of course it's up to him but I find myself wondering if this will draw negative attention from peers. He has some learning struggles and is perhaps a bit trailing his peers in term of maturity. I sort of gently suggested a few other thing we have read together or something he's read to himself, but he's committed.

Have any of your kids read these books would you say they are geared more toward preteen girls specifically?

Do boys read these books?
OP posts:
ImSoUglyThatsOkCauseSoAreYou · 20/09/2021 00:49

What books do you think 11 year old boys should be reading then?

FixItUpChappie · 20/09/2021 00:53

I have never had an 11 yr old before so I really have no idea - as I say, I'm just curious.

OP posts:
NiceGerbil · 20/09/2021 01:01

Oh that's tricky OP.

I am totally of the view that all this are for all children/ gendering stuff is shit etc.

However. That's miles off and we are where we are.

IF the other children are familiar with the series and IF it is seen as totally 'for girls'.

I mean depending on what the school/ children are like on this stuff. Do you have a feel for that?

It could mean comments etc esp from the other boys. Which is not good obv and esp with LD.

I think what I would do is help him with the report and gently encourage him to focus on the main characters IE the fraternal twins.

At that age it doesn't need to be long. Book and who by. General gist of what sort of thing IE adventure stories. Who are main characters what sort of things do they get up to. Why I like these books.

Done.

I wouldn't say no you can't do that as you'd have to tell him why and the reason is a terrible message for many many reasons.

Just my opinion.

NiceGerbil · 20/09/2021 01:10

Oh sorry I read LD for some reason. And that it was the 8yo. God's sake. Sorry!

If just a bit less mature then I mean well at 11 there's a massive range.

It also changes my reply somewhat.

At 11 children are aware of the lie of the land. He would be aware how the children behave etc around this stuff. And so really it's up to him.

Is this last year primary or first year secondary, as in he's only just started? If you know he's less mature compared then I assume primary?

FixItUpChappie · 20/09/2021 01:11

Thanks Gerbil for understanding - I'm not at all trying to be a jerk. My son asked me to buy this book and I have and I'm fine with it, I have read all manner of books to my boys with female protagonists. Aside from the one twin I'd say 95% of the book is about fairy princesses. I just have a sense that the other boys might be not nice about it and that's the last thing my son needs tbh.

OP posts:
FixItUpChappie · 20/09/2021 01:14

He is in his last year at primary. Less mature and less socially aware of norms I'd say.

OP posts:
Kanaloa · 20/09/2021 01:22

They look like something my 8yo boy might enjoy, my 11yo wouldn’t look at them to be honest, they look a bit ‘young’ for him. He does enjoy fantasy type books though and wouldn’t pick on someone who enjoyed these.

I would say let him present, most kids aren’t that interested in other people’s presentations as they’re nervous for their own. You’ve suggested something else and he’s passionate on this, so I’d leave him to it.

NiceGerbil · 20/09/2021 01:34

I would have thought he would know if choosing this would be likely to result in piss taking. He's 11 and has known the other children for years.

Also if it all goes wonky he's in the last year at least!

Trust his judgement.

Or, is he very literal? My kids are and me too. Book report shut fave book = fave book that's that. And no more thought than that.

I only realised when I was a grown up that it's normal to give an answer that won't be totally out of place! Or too revealing.

I've advised the kids of this revelation.

NiceGerbil · 20/09/2021 01:34

Agree with kana about not paying attention really in this situation. As well.

FixItUpChappie · 20/09/2021 01:42

Or, is he very literal? My kids are and me too. Book report on fave book = fave book that's that. And no more thought than that.

That is totally how he views it!! Grin Zero awareness that it might be a bit different of a choice. I won't stick my nose in. I just worry and that's me in a nutshell.

OP posts:
NiceGerbil · 20/09/2021 01:47

You could try. That's a great choice. When you're giving info to others though it's always good to think about what you like that might also be the sort of thing they would like. That way everyone gets a bit more out of it. You get to capture their interest. They might find out about something to try that's their sort of thing.

Have lots in your class already read these? Is it what you think they would like?

I mean only if you want to. It's not very strong but also has benefit of being true! Useful for work later as well know your audience and all that.

In the end just let him do what he wants. You're hopefully imagining an issue that doesn't exist :)

Good luck to him with his presentation!

FixItUpChappie · 20/09/2021 06:09

Those are great suggestions thank you I will give that approach a try to gently help him think through and around it and if he's happy I'll leave him in peace with it Smile

OP posts:
ChateauMargaux · 20/09/2021 07:41

He has made a choice, allow him the freedom to do this. If he feels his choices are not valued by you, his mother, this can have a negative impact on his self esteem.

He will grow to understand that other people have different beliefs and values and while we can recognise this, it is important to respect everyone's expression of their own thoughts even if we don't agree with them. Teaching him that his own internal responses should be measured and assessed against those of others and if they do not fit with expectations that they are not worthy or not valid is damaging to him.

Let him write about his favourite book and don't pre judge what others will choose or think about his choices.

PS. My 12, 15 and 17 year old have just been listening to this on audiobook.

MargaretThursday · 21/09/2021 20:33

I don't think it will cause an issue, even at that age unless one of the others has flicked through it and says it's babyish because it uses fairy tale characters.

I did persuade my ds who wanted to do a similar presentation on "The Gay Dolphin Adventure" to another in the same series when he was innocent enough, but I suspect others in his year wouldn't have been.

HalzTangz · 21/09/2021 20:37

Aren't all books unisex?

NiceGerbil · 21/09/2021 20:37

Good luck to him OP! And don't worry :)

When is it? If soon will you let us know how it went? I find giving talks etc really stressful so I'm in awe of children doing it at school as a norm! It's s great thing for them to do and get used to as it's a key skill now in loads of jobs.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.