My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Next stage classics for 10 year old DD

53 replies

OlivesTree · 16/08/2021 14:54

Ten year old DD is an avid reader. Has read all of the classic children’s books that I can think of e.g. the penguin books list of must read children’s books.

She really loves the classic stories like the Swallows and Amazons series, Anne of Green Gables, A little Princess, etc. so I am looking for suggestions for where she should go next.

I think she is still a bit young for Bronte, Austen etc. but I’m not sure what we should be looking at to fill the gap until she is mature enough for those titles.

I’d be grateful for suggestions that are appropriate for a strong (old fashioned!) reader of her age or any more obscure children’s classics that we may have overlooked.

She does also enjoy modern stories, but we have no trouble filling her reading list with those. 🙂

Thanks.

OP posts:
Magicstars · 16/08/2021 14:56

The secret garden.

OlivesTree · 16/08/2021 14:57

Read it and loves it. But thank you for the suggestion.

OP posts:
Havehope21 · 16/08/2021 14:59

Has she read Little Women? If so, there are more after, Jo's Boys etc which are good. Eva Ibbotson also has Journey to the River Sea and other good stories which might be suitable too.

justabigdisco · 16/08/2021 15:00

Following for ideas as this is my 9 year old!

Numbersarefun · 16/08/2021 15:00

Any E Nesbitt?

ChessieFL · 16/08/2021 15:01

Has she read the What Katy Did series?

ChessieFL · 16/08/2021 15:01

There’s also a lot of Noel Streatfeild books she would probably like.

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 16/08/2021 15:03

Mary Poppins
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Around the World in 80 Days

LeafyGreen333 · 16/08/2021 15:03

The Just William books by Richmal Crompton - classic and hilarious!

viques · 16/08/2021 15:05

Black Beauty? In fact if she likes horses the Pullein sisters wrote masses.

School stories like the Chalet School, if she gets into the characters they will keep her going for ages.

The Princess and Curley books.

I take it she has read Alice and Alice in Wonderland

Watership Down

Tolkien The Hobbit et al.

PhantomErik · 16/08/2021 15:08

Not classics but very much modern Enid Blyton in style is the Adventure Island series by Helen Moss.

All the titles start with The Mystery of... there's about 17 in the series, all set in Cornwall & centred around a girl & 2 boys around 11yrs old who solve Mysteries in the local area.

They are so well written & great stories.

viques · 16/08/2021 15:17

Is she interested in History? The Caroline Lawrence books
about Ancient Rome go on for ages.

The Green Knoll series touch on history.

If she is up for something a bit scarey and challenging The Owl service series by Alan Garner.

RhonaRed · 16/08/2021 15:21

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.

Xdecd · 16/08/2021 15:30

Cider With Rosie is a really good one.

I loved Agatha Christie at that age.

UserStillatLarge · 16/08/2021 15:31

Carrie's war
Goodnight Mr Tom
The Never ending story
Narnia books
Dark is rising books
Ballet Shoes
Watership Down
Heidi
Anything by E.Nesbit
Emil and the Detectives
The Family from one end street
The phantom tollbooth
The borrowers
Tom's Midnight Garden
Stig of the Dump

RhonaRed · 16/08/2021 15:36

Eva Ibbottson has written some good stories with a classic feel.

RhonaRed · 16/08/2021 15:38

Geoffrey Trease and Rosemary Sutcliffe wrote good historical novels for children.

pollyhemlock · 16/08/2021 15:41

Does she like fantasy? If so try Susan Cooper’s The Dark is Rising series or Ursula Le Guin’s Earthsea series, all published 1960s- 70s. Historical : Rosemary Sutcliff, if she hasn’t read already. Family type stories: try Penelope Lively’s The House in Norham Gardens or The Ghost of Thomas Kempe. Also Jane Gardam’s A Long Way from Verona, a wonderful story about a bookish child.

Greytminds · 16/08/2021 15:48

When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit.
I Capture the castle
Would second recommendations for Goodnight Mr Tom and other books by the same author, and the What Katy Did series.

Also, His Dark Materials trilogy and the new ones The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman.

The only reason I’d ever want to go back to being a child is to experience the pure joy of discovering all the books I’ve loved again!

yikesanotherbooboo · 16/08/2021 15:49

Cranford
Georgette Heyers
The silver sword
The swish of the curtain
Laura Ingalls wilder
David copper field
Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh?

tiredteacher100 · 16/08/2021 15:57

I wouldn't think Cider with Rosie is suitable for that age, it's quite a sexual book in many ways. I used to love Little Women, and there are lots of child friendly editions of Greek myths too

tiredteacher100 · 16/08/2021 16:00

My daughter loved the Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman at that age, also Malorie Blackman books, Ursula Le Guin and Susan Cooper

BlueChampagne · 16/08/2021 16:19

Green Knowe
Cynthia Harnett historical novels
Joan Aitken
Leon Garfield
Phillippa Pearce
Jules Verne
Katherine Rundell

Okaygreatthanks · 16/08/2021 16:23

Amazing list!

Maybe some of the Persephone classics? The Children Who Lived in a Barn and The Making of a Marchioness. (Usual asides about changing cultural assumptions).

I read A Tree Grows In Brooklyn at that age but I think people were less concerned about possibly slightly adult content in those days!

There’s a hilarious book called Susannah At Boarding School where a 12 year old Canadian goes to an English Victorian boarding school.

The Antonia forest school books

Chalet school?

Marianne Dreams, Charlotte Sometimes.

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets is lovely.

The little white horse

Something like Lark Rise to Candleford?

OlivesTree · 16/08/2021 16:25

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! There’s quite a few that are new to me that I will definitely look into.

She has read -
the Dark Materials trilogy,
The Hobbit & FOTR
Everything on your list @UserStillatLarge apart from three, including the Dark is Rising books, so will definitely check out those.
Little House on Prairie Series
Railway Children & 5 Children, but not the other E Nesbitt's, so will add those to the list.
Also Little Women but I didn’t know there were more in the series!

@LeafyGreen333 & @ChessieFL I
We haven’t read Just William & What Katy did, but thought they were for younger readers?

@viques She loves history, so we will look into those. Thanks.

@PhantomErik these sound right up her street!

Goodnight Mr Tom is one of my all time favourites. Reading that together was a special moment.

Definitely not ready for anything sexual, she is actually only nine, but approaching 10, just with a higher reading level.

Thanks again everyone. This is just what I was looking for.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.