My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Books on emotions/shyness/sharing/letting people help you for 2.5 year old

4 replies

LeeMiller · 16/05/2021 21:57

DS is 2.5, and I'm looking for recommendations on books to encourage his social/coping skills. He has been through a lot of transitions recently and is struggling a bit with shyness/nervousness around unfamiliar people, and tantrumming when he doesn't get own way or can't do something independently. Books have been brilliant at helping him through other challenges (e.g. Owl Babies was a game changer - now when I go out he always says "Mummy comes back, like mummy owl") so I'm thinking they'd be useful here.

I'm especially interested in the following themes if anyone has any suggestions:

• Identifying and naming emotions in yourself and others
  • Shyness/feeling scared around unfamiliar people/big groups (he's not mixed much with other kids/non-relatives in last 6 months due to lockdown)
  • Letting others help you (he loves helping but is obsessed with doing everything himself, and also wants to be the only helper). He loves any kind of transport so in this context we've talked about tug boats and how even big ships need help - anything about tugs could also work!
  • Sharing/taking turns (I think preschool in September will be a shock!)
OP posts:
Fivemoreminutes1 · 17/05/2021 04:28

The Rainbow Fish
Sharing a Shell
The Koala Who Could
The Way Home For Wolf
The Lion Inside
Ruby’s Worries
The Enormous Turnip
The Bad-tempered Ladybird

LeeMiller · 17/05/2021 08:50

Oh brilliant, thank you @Fivemoreminutes1 . Off to look these up now.

OP posts:
3773e · 15/03/2022 21:46

Barbara Throws a Wobbler is pretty good. And it has a mood board in the back to name and identify different moods.

I've been looking for something similar for my 4.5yo.
I've found Sue Graves' Our behaviour Matters and Our Emotions Matter series and they look good, but I can't actually recommend because I haven't got them yet. They could be with a look though.

Beamur · 15/03/2022 21:52

Shirley Hughes books generally are brilliant at illuminating real feelings for children

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.