My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Picture books for 5 year old

18 replies

OhRosalind · 03/12/2020 13:55

Hello wise mumsnetters! I’m looking for recommendations for picture books to read to a just 5 year old. Reading is via video call so nothing with tiny illustrations. DN is bilingual and English is definitely his weaker language so his vocabulary is smaller than your average British child’s would be at that age, and he needs the support of illustrations.
Currently he likes Rita the Rescuer, Tyranosaurus Drip, Quentin Blake stories, Alan Ahlberg’s runaway dinner. Was wondering about more stuff by the Ahlbergs, Anthony Brown, Emily Gravett, Julia Donaldson etc but so hard to choose when I can’t browse in a bookshop.

OP posts:
eurochick · 03/12/2020 14:06

Winnie the Witch is a hit here.

stella1know · 03/12/2020 14:10

“Tidy” by Emily Gravett, about a badger who tidies up the forest a bit too much.
“Look Up” about a girl whose brother is on the phone too much :)

Fivemoreminutes1 · 03/12/2020 14:56

Giraffes Can’t Dance
Aliens Love Underpants

OhRosalind · 03/12/2020 19:04

Brilliant thank you. He likes giraffes can’t dance, haven’t heard of the rest.

OP posts:
Duckchick · 03/12/2020 22:07

I've had a lot of success with books from the library off this list schoolreadinglist.co.uk/reading-lists-for-ks1-school-pupils/suggested-reading-list-reception-pupils-eyfs-age-4-5/ . They give enough of a description I find I have a reasonable idea of whether it'll work for the kids. If your DN is on the older side of 5 they have a list for each school year, you can find the link for year 1 at the bottom of the list.

My DS really likes Quentin Blake and Ahlberg too (burglar bill was a huge hit if you haven't tried it). Not on the list is the Supertato set of books which he really likes, and also Caryl Hart's Albie series (the first three are very good then I think they go downhill, the first three are Supermarket Zoo , How to Grow a Dinosaur, and welcome to alien school). The book with no pictures is also very popular.

CoodleMoodle · 03/12/2020 23:18

My Big Shouting Day is a favourite in our house!

Others we like or have liked (DC are 6 and 2):
Mog
Hairy MacClary
Oi Frog/Dog/Cat/etc
Meg, Mog & Owl
Kipper
Richard Scarry (although illustrations might be small)
The Large Family

My two also like books based on things they watch, so Peppa Pig, Octonauts, etc.

trunumber · 03/12/2020 23:27

The Julia Donaldson books? Full page illustrations

OhRosalind · 04/12/2020 12:13

I have a lot of Julia Donaldson - generally very popular but i find the quality hit and miss, some are amazing and others feel churned out. Are spinderella / Tabbycat / Highway Rat / superworm /scarecrow wedding good?

He is less interested in meg&mog or mog books now (though still enjoys them when they are his sister’s choice).

That looks like a helpful list @Duckchick , thanks for the recommendations.

OP posts:
trunumber · 04/12/2020 17:16

I like highway rat. I like scarecrow wedding but DS doesn't. Not keen on the rest (but love all other Julia D books!)

FourTeaFallOut · 04/12/2020 17:25

'The Pencil' by Allan Ahlberg and for non fiction 'Is the blue whale the biggest thing there is?' by Robert E. Wells which was a book in a pack called Wonderwise, so it might be hard to get hold of on its own, but it was, hands down, the favourite picture book of all three of my children at this age.

LemonNLime · 04/12/2020 17:29

My 5 year old loves:

Elmer the Elephant
The Large Family
Julia Donaldson books

Duckchick · 04/12/2020 20:24

DC like the Highway rat and Tabby mctat. We have spinderella but I don't think it's as good (it's not a bad story but the language doesn't flow as well, it's not poetic in the same way). We've had superworm and the scarecrows wedding out the library, again they aren't bad but the kids didn't like them enough for me to buy them.

OhRosalind · 05/12/2020 21:58

Thank you, I will try highway rat of the JD ones. Elmer and the Large family books are good ideas, thanks.
The pencil sounds great, definitely getting that one.

OP posts:
Janedownourlane · 06/12/2020 15:35

Mouse Pirate by Dawn Treacher

RobiN0963 · 09/12/2020 11:14

Thank you for sharing. Any books with a lot of pictures to start learning letters for 4 year old?

FourTeaFallOut · 09/12/2020 11:59

Sometimes schools can get a little high strung about how your child comes to learn their letters in case it clashes with a particular scheme that they use but, putting that aside, in terms of an attractive book for learning letters then the Letterland ABC book is quite sweet.

Jayyde · 19/01/2021 13:30

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

flyingant · 19/01/2021 13:43

I used to teach reception and love all the Julia Donaldson books.
Also Jez Alborough books: Where's my teddy? and It's the bear.
There are lots of videos of people reading books available on YouTube, so you could check some out there before buying.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.