My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

11 replies

RosaTransylvania · 15/10/2007 00:15

DD1 and I went out yesterday so she could spend a book token she won in a competition. She got the new Caroline Lawrence and The Wolves of Willoughby Chase which she devoured in less than two hours and then passed on to me because she said it was so good I had to read it.
It was FANTASTIC. Am I the only person in the world who has never read it before? How come nobody gave it to me when I was a child? I think I might have to sue my parents for depriving me.
DD and I are very excited now because there are sequels to read!

OP posts:
seeker · 15/10/2007 00:17

I had forgotten about it! I will go out tomorrow and get it for my dd. I got it for Christmas when I was about 9, I think and loved it!

TheEvilDediderata · 15/10/2007 00:23

Well, I now feel like a total Philistine, because I have seen the film, and didn't realize it was derived from a book!!

madamez · 15/10/2007 00:30

I found one of the sequels in the library a while back and it was.. OK. Maybe if I'd read it as a kid I would have been more smitten - because the original is still one of my top 10 kids books and DS is definitely going to get it read to him at some point.

WendyWeber · 15/10/2007 00:39

Oh yes, it's one of those Joan Aiken historical things (only not exactly accurate )

Joan Aiken is fab.

elkiedee · 15/10/2007 01:01

There's a whole series of books by Joan Aiken who died 2 or 3 years ago - the characters in the others are mostly different from those in Wolves - Simon appears in no 2 but after that most have a female lead character also introduced in no 2, Dido Twite.

I loved them.

Kevlarhead · 16/10/2007 23:46

Joan Aitken is the greatest chiuldren's author who has ever lived.

I was a bit young for the WoWC when I first read it I thing. The Stolen Lake was great though. I might not have said it was my favourite at the time, but it's the one I remember.

Read The Stolen Lake. Read Is (Isabella Twite, Dido's younger sister) too. Then give them to me so I can read them again.

Saturn74 · 16/10/2007 23:48

She is a simply wonderful author.

NotAnOtter · 16/10/2007 23:52

i have ordered this and othe JA for my dc;s pn the advice of mumsnetters

spookthief · 17/10/2007 00:44

Midnight Is A Place by JA. Fantastic.

SofiaAmes · 17/10/2007 04:26

I remember doing the same thing as a child...reading the Wolves of Willoughby Chase and then making my mother read it because I loved it so much. Joan Aiken has a whole series of books. Get them all.

2sugars · 17/10/2007 04:33

Read both Wolves and Midnight. Fab. Does anyone remember the BBC serialisation of Midnight? The theme tune still resounds 30 odd years later!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.