My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Gunslinger books for 12yo?

3 replies

clingingtosanity · 06/07/2020 11:48

Hi,

12yo DS is an avid reader and has recently progressed to YA type books with some caution exercised from myself.

As he likes the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett the Gunslinger / Dark Tower series of books by Stephen King have been suggested to him. Neither my husband or I have read them but, as they aren't targeted at the YA market, we're wondering about their suitability.

I've had a look on Common Sense Media and a general Google but found most articles relating to the adaptation with Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba and conflicting advice regarding the books.

I appreciate everyone will have different personal guidelines for their own child but can anyone who has read them give me a general viewpoint? A bit of suspense/scary stuff fine, don't mind some violence if not too graphic or gratuitous, not keen on anything overly sexual for him at this age (and he would probably hate it too).

TIA

OP posts:
SatsukiKusakabe · 15/07/2020 13:58

I don’t think they are as bad as King’s others, however the Gunslinger does have sexual content, drug references and violence/gory stuff so he may want to wait a year or two.

If he likes fantasy I would say 12 is a good time to get into Lord of the Rings if he’s not attempted it already, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy or Pullman’s Northern Lights also very good series for that age.

SatsukiKusakabe · 15/07/2020 14:01

I have known 12/13 year olds enjoy The Hunger Games and the His Mortal Instruments series, they are more YA aimed I believe.

Molteni · 15/07/2020 14:40

I wouldn't let him read it and I quite like the Gunslinger series.

From the top of my mind; in book 3 you have a relatively explicit demon-rape scene, the Witch and Susannah is also questionable ... Not as bad as Erikson though - that was too much for me. He's probably better off reading Mortal Engines or similar.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.