My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Struggling to keep up with DD's reading habit - recommendations for a 7yo avid reader please!

39 replies

Glendora · 23/04/2020 10:26

DD has always been a keen reader, but has become a total bookworm since lockdown - the extra time to read means she's getting through a book a day and I'm struggling to keep the supply up! Can anyone suggest what else she may like based on the following?

• Absolutely loves anything based in fantasy worlds - so magic, mythical creatures, etc
  • Likes also some animal and nature-based stories
  • Won't read anything that is presented as a 'mystery' or detective story (i.e. won't read Secret Seven and those ones with the girl Victorian detective)

Things she's loved:
  • How to Train your Dragon
  • Worst Witch
  • Amelia Fang
  • Witch Wars
  • Bad Mermaids
  • Charmseekers
  • The Boy who Grew Dragons
  • Starfell books (these we're reading to her)
  • A Piglet called Truffle et al books by Helen Peters

Stuff she likes but doesn't love
  • Roald Dahl (has enjoyed these being read to her, but doesn't seem keen to read them herself)
  • Narnia books - I read a couple of them to her a while ago, but she lost interest half way through the Horse and His Boy. Might try her on them again though.
  • She read Dick King-Smith's The Sheep Pig recently and enjoyed it, but didn't get 'in' to it the way she has with the ones listed above

She's enjoyed Beast Quest and Rainbow Magic a while ago, but she's beyond that now really.

Any other recommendations? Ideally of series that she can get stuck into (and that I can buy relatively cheaply 2nd hand!), but also for stand alone books.
OP posts:
sleepismysuperpower1 · 23/04/2020 11:10

the harry potter series? also 'dragons in a bag' by zetta elliott and witch boy by molly knox ostertag

AngryPrincess · 23/04/2020 11:26

Would she like something like astrosaurs by Steve Cole? Also Mr Gum, 5 children and it, Peter Pan, Rainbow Fairies series, The Secret Rescuers series, Alfie Bloom and the secrets of Hexbridge Castle, Galaxy’s Most Wanted by Kloepfer, Herbert’s Wormhole, Fortunately the Milk by Gaiman.

AngryPrincess · 23/04/2020 11:27

Terry Pratchet Truckers.

AngryPrincess · 23/04/2020 11:30

AMightyGirl.com has a really good range of book recommendations. Bit American, but you can sort by age range and subject , but I think they’re all quite inspiring.

BlueChampagne · 23/04/2020 12:39

Emma Fischel WitchWorld series
Black Beauty
Swallows and Amazons
Olga da Polga

Possibly Edge Chronicles?

BlueChampagne · 23/04/2020 12:44

The Hobbit?

Glendora · 23/04/2020 12:47

Thanks for these

Harry Potter - weirdly she is adamant she doesn't want to read them! But I'm happy for her to wait on those anyway until she's a bit older and can properly appreciate them. Especially the later ones.

Black Beauty is a great call - she's a bit obsessed with horses at the moment.

Swallows and Amazons is in my pile of books to read to her, although I might encourage her to give it a go on her own.

Five Children and It - yes I read that to her a while ago and we enjoyed it. Less so the Phoenix and the Carpet, which she got a bit bored of.

Rainbow Fairies. Are those the Rainbow Magic fairies ones? If so, she was really into them about a year ago and read lots of them, so a bit 'been there done that' at this point. Unless there's a different series?

Thanks for the other suggestions - lots I haven't heard of here, so I'll look into them.

OP posts:
Glendora · 23/04/2020 12:49

Oh my word - just looked up Olga da Polga. She loves guinea pigs (and is desperate for one of her own), so I'm sure these will be a big hit. Thanks @BlueChampagne

OP posts:
stargirl1701 · 23/04/2020 12:58

Puppy Academy series by Gill Lewis

Knitbone Pepper series by Claire Barker

Bad Nana series by Sophy Henn

Arabel's Raven series by Joan Aiken

Daisy series by Kes Gray

Wigglesbottom Primary series by Pamela Butchart

Mudpuddle Farm series by Micheal Morpurgo

Killer Cat series by Anne Fine

The Invincibles series by Caryl Hart

Jill Tomlinson's Animal books

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Mary Poppins series by P L Travers

Pugs of the Frozen North by Phillip Reeve & Sarah McIntyre

The Wombles series by Elisabeth Beresford

Lob by Linda Newbury

Little Manfred by Michael Morpurgo

Olga da Polga by Michael Bond

The Animals of Farthing Wood by Colin Dann

Mango & Bambang series by Polly Faber

The Royal Rabbits series by Santa Montefiore

The Adventures of Hamish & Mirren by Moira Miller

Mr Tiger & Betsy series by Sally Gardner

The Grunts series by Philip Ardagh

Clarice Bean series by Lauren Child

BlueChampagne · 23/04/2020 12:59

Most welcome!

Glendora · 23/04/2020 13:15

Thanks @stargirl1701 for such a long list - I shall look into those ones

OP posts:
stargirl1701 · 23/04/2020 13:15

I have a bookworm 7 year old too 😄

victoria0132 · 23/04/2020 13:47

Magic Faraway Tree?
Famous Five?

missandersen · 24/04/2020 15:20

Gangsta Granny?

HildaSnibbs · 24/04/2020 15:26

I'm in the same position with an 8yo - this Book People going out of business at this particular time has been a disaster for me with no libraries! Anyone know anywhere else that sells book collections for kids?

KrakowDawn · 24/04/2020 15:29

If you are a member of your local library, many are offering ebooks for borrowing whilst the physical library is closed. If you look on your library's website you should find a link. My authority uses Libby app which you download to read the books, but some authorities use other apps. It means she can try things, and you don't have to worry too much if she isn't enjoying it- she can just 'return' the books and get something else.

KrakowDawn · 24/04/2020 15:30

I'm a complete luddite btw, I don't have any apps... only Libby which I managed to get following the instructions on my library's website.

stargirl1701 · 24/04/2020 15:35
HildaSnibbs · 24/04/2020 15:37

Thank you!

Pickles89 · 24/04/2020 15:39

Definitely Eva Ibbotson! A lot of hers are aimed at older children but she does have a few suitable for your daughter. I highly recommend 'The Abominables':

www.amazon.co.uk/Abominables-Eva-Ibbotson-ebook/dp/B008JELNXW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&crid=3QZJUTQNEPJIW&keywords=the%20abominables%20by%20eva%20ibbotson&sprefix=the%20abominables%2Caps%2C148&qid=1587738993&sr=8-1&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

One dog and his boy is great too:

www.amazon.co.uk/One-Dog-His-Boy-Ibbotson-ebook/dp/B005EM99IS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=one%20dog%20and%20his%20boy&qid=1587739036&sr=8-1&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

There are lots of magical/mythical Eva Ibbottsons too. I don't know which would be suitable because that's not my genre at all, but have a Google.

ArfArfBarf · 24/04/2020 15:40

Wizards of Once!

Might be a bit of a stretch but also written by Cressida Cowell and IMO much better written than “How to Train Your Dragon”. My 8yr old has read the first book and I’ve read the first two to my 6yr old and we’ve all enjoyed them!

milienhaus · 24/04/2020 15:43

Crestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones (and anything else by her aimed at children, they’re all great)

The Amazing Maurice by Terry Pratchett

The Hobbit

milienhaus · 24/04/2020 15:44

Oh, and also the Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett maybe?

eddiemairswife · 24/04/2020 15:48

Dare I suggest Enid Blyton? I know she is regarded with disdain in some quarters, but she made me into an avid reader.

noreciprocityherefella · 24/04/2020 15:49

My DD is 8 but recently read The Legend of Podkin One Ear by Kieron Larwood and absolutely loved it. I think your DD would too! Fantasy novel in which a trio of young rabbits must flee their home to discover their destinies. Little bit intense in places but not age-inappropriate (IMO). My daughter is an avid reader, even more so in these circumstances and this book really stood out amongst many to her.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.