My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Calling all Calvin & Hobbes fans (help needed!)

2 replies

DadManners · 01/03/2020 16:13

DD(8) has become a C&H obsessive, ever since she unearthed an old copy of "Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons" (not as bad as it sounds ;) that someone bought me many years ago.

Fast-forward a few months and we're well on our way to building up the complete collection (she devours the books in no time, but then re-reads them time and again), but I'm a bit confused as to which books we need, as some of them seem to be anthologies/compilations of the original titles.

I found the following list online which purports to be the full list of books in order, excluding the compilations:

1. Calvin and Hobbes (1987)
  2. Something Under the Bed is Drooling (1988)
  3. The Essential Calvin and Hobbes (1988)
  4. Yukon Ho! (1989)
  5. The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book (1989)
  6. Weirdos from Another Planet! (1990)
  7. The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes (1990)
  8. The Revenge of the Baby-Sat (1991)
  9. Scientific Progress Goes 'Boink' (1991)

10. Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons (1992)
11. The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes (1992)
12. The Days Are Just Packed (1993)
13. Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat (1994)
14. Calvin and Hobbes: The Tenth Anniversary Book (1995)
15. There's Treasure Everywhere (1996)
16. It's a Magical World (1996)

... but then I realised she has one that isn't mentioned in that list, and uncovered the following additional books:

Calvin And Hobbes Volume 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
Calvin And Hobbes Volume 2: One Day the Wind Will Change
Calvin And Hobbes Volume 3: In the Shadow of the Night

I have no idea where these fit in with the sixteen above or the other compilations, or how reliable either list is. Really all we want is to get each of the original books and avoid any duplication from stuff that was re-issued. I don't suppose anyone's familiar enough with these books to help me make sense of this (very much first world problem Grin)?
OP posts:
Witchend · 01/03/2020 19:51

I know I have one that has 2 books in 1. I think one of them is "Something under the bed", but it escapes me what the other one is.

I would suspect you might find those 3 are combinations of 2 of the original books.

DadManners · 01/03/2020 21:39

Aaah, thanks - sounds plausible. I can't help thinking this must be clarified online somewhere, but not sure where. Maybe I'll see if I can drop a note to the publishers.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.