My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Book series recommendations for DD12

16 replies

DifferentDrum · 25/11/2019 14:23

Any good book recommendations for my DD, nearly 13? She's read & loved Alex Rider, Ruby Redfort, Murder Most Unladylike series recently and I'd love to find another mystery/adventure series for her to get stuck into. Also read Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, but think she'd ideally prefer something based in the real (ish!) world rather than dystopia/fantasy.
I've had a look through some threads on here for a few ideas but any other suggestions welcome, thank you.

OP posts:
Whathappenedtothelego · 25/11/2019 14:32

Might she like to try Agatha Christie? Some of the language might be a little old fashioned, but I would say appropriate for a 13 year old.
Or the Alexander McCall Smith Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Again, not written for children, but appropriate and accessible.

Or if she hasn't already read them, The Roman Mysteries, by Caroline Lawrence are a good series.

DifferentDrum · 25/11/2019 18:54

Thanks very much - hadn't thought of McCall Smith but have a few of those at home so may see what she thinks. It's years (decades!?) since I've read any Agatha Christie. Could you recommend any easy-ish ones, plotwise, to start with?

OP posts:
Whathappenedtothelego · 25/11/2019 19:53

Ooh, it's been a while since I read any Agatha Christie too!
I prefer Miss Marple to Hercule Poirot, (though he gets all the best locations.) I think as a young teen, my favourites were Tommy and Tuppence - particularly "By the pricking of my thumbs". There is a set of short stories about those characters - might be a good introduction.

Whathappenedtothelego · 25/11/2019 19:58

Short stories are called "Partners in Crime." That would be my recommendation.

DifferentDrum · 25/11/2019 20:45

I'll have a look in the library, thanks for the suggestions!

OP posts:
schmalex · 25/11/2019 21:16

How about Katherine Woodfine's books - the Sinclair's mysteries (set in and Edwardian department store).

handmademitlove · 25/11/2019 21:19

Theodore Boone series by John Grisham - aimed at teens.

Ricekrispie22 · 26/11/2019 04:42

Ally Carter series
Cherub series by Robert Muchamore
The Book of Dust series by Phillip Pullman

Outtheforest · 26/11/2019 04:50

Seconding the cherub series by Robert muchamore

SummerLightning · 26/11/2019 05:43

I teach a bunch of 11-13 year old girls and they were all raving about a book called 'out of my mind'. Also 'The war that saved my life'

I am in America though. Lots of them seem to read adult books, one said their favourite book was The Shining!

Has she read Patrick ness books, mortal engines (forgot author), divergent or any malorie Blackman? (Lots of these don't fit non fantasy/dystopia though)

If she likes Harry Potter I recommend Nevermoor. They are probably aimed at younger kids but I am embarrassingly a bit in love with them myself.

DookofBust · 26/11/2019 06:15

Dd (13) has asked for the Malorie Blackman Noughts and Crosses series and The Deathless Girls by Kieran Hargrave.

DifferentDrum · 26/11/2019 12:20

Ooh thanks for all the replies. She's read some of the books suggested (Katherine Woodfine, Philip Pullman & Noughts and Crosses (which she didn't like)) but I will definitely have a look at some of the other recommendations. I had written down the Patrick Ness series as a possible Christmas present. She's seen film of Divergent but said she doesn't fancy the book as seems bit too similar to Hunger Games. Thanks for all the great suggestions though, I will definitely look into the ones I'm not as familiar with!

OP posts:
crustycrab · 26/11/2019 12:24

I was reading point horror at that age

DifferentDrum · 26/11/2019 12:42

The Theodore Boone, and particularly the Cherub series, look promising. I'll see what she thinks. Possibly some of the Ally Carter books too. Really appreciate the suggestions.
She doesn't mind a bit of violence and gore, but horror's not really her thing!

OP posts:
AbsinthedelaBonchance · 25/01/2020 17:47

Lockwood & Co series by Jonathan Stroud I found excellent - there are ghosts and they're dangerous - but only children can see them...

schmalex · 26/01/2020 06:59

Perhaps the Girl, Missing series by Sophie Mackenzie.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.