My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Encouraging 9 year old DS to read

5 replies

Sequinsglitter · 17/10/2018 21:12

He's supposed to be doing reading everynight at the moment but it's always a battle. He's good at pronouncing the words but it takes him a little while to understand what he's reading. I just can't seem to find any books he enjoys, he doesn't like the school books either apparently and doesn't like if there's too many words on a page as he get's confused of what line he's on

OP posts:
BlueChampagne · 18/10/2018 12:58

My almost 9yo is currently enjoying Asterix. If graphic novels prove to be his thing, look for "Corpse Talk" from The Phoenix Comic.

Has he tried How to Train your Dragon?

Weekend trip to the library to let him chose what he fancies? Maybe non-fiction is more his thing?

Find/create a selection of cool bookmarks to help him keep on the line he's reading.

Leeds2 · 19/10/2018 15:53

Would second the idea of graphic novels. Asterix is a great shout on this front, also maybe Anthony Horowitz books.

Have you tried Wimpy Kid/Tom Gates/Middle School books, where there are lots of line drawings on each page to break up larger chunks of text.

Non fiction books might be of more interest to him. Does he have a particular hobby or interest he might like to read about? Could also get fiction books based on the hobby eg Frank Lampard's football books.

Or maybe poetry?

Oliphantintheroom · 19/10/2018 15:56

Third the suggestions for graphic books
My DS hated reading before finding a comic style series of books that he loved, bought other books based on the amazon recommendations of the series we had bought and now he is always asking for more and is reading books with more word content

Oliphantintheroom · 19/10/2018 15:56

Find something he does enjoy, search it on amazon, then scroll down and look at ‘see what others have bought’ for suggestions and ideas

ifeellikeanidiot · 19/10/2018 16:04

Ds(9) has never really taken to chapter books - he's maybe read seven or eight in his life and they were all either tom gates or wimpy kid!

He does however listen to audible lots, he's kind of obsessed with it and listens for at least an hour a day. He loves asterix, and will read football magazines. We've just started buying him graphic novels which he finishes in one sitting.

So I'm happy with his lack of start-to-finish actual book reading. We've never really made him read a book, like in the way you're supposed to, but he's often picking things up and flicking.

He's top group for guided reading, wide vocabulary and has lots of the high level reading skills so I'm happy with what we're doing.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.