My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Malorie Blackman - what age?

6 replies

mamaduckbone · 28/03/2018 20:36

I’m looking for new books for ds12 and some of the Malorie Blackman titles look appealing. He’s a very confident reader and on Amazon the recommended age is 9-11 although to me the subject matter of Dangerous Reality, Hacker. Antidote etc seem older. I’ve no experience of these books so wondered if anyone can advise...?

OP posts:
purplegreen99 · 29/03/2018 17:18

I don't know the titles you mention, but my ds read Pig Heart Boy in class in Year 5, & Noughts and Crosses in Y7.

bookmum08 · 03/04/2018 19:01

Naughts and Crosses is very intense and quite upsetting. I believe it is sometimes studied at age 13/14 in schools.

dragonwarrior · 03/04/2018 19:04

I remember reading Hacker and Antidote at primary school, I didn't read any Malorie Blackman at secondary (when I would have been 11) does that help?

mamaduckbone · 04/04/2018 17:48

Yes it does, thanks! I think they are a bit young (and perhaps noughts and crosses a bit old). Based on another thread I saw, bought him the first in the ‘Cherub’ series, and a Benjamin Zephaniah book which is thinner than I thought it would be so he’ll be through that in a day.
Thank goodness for the library - I love that he reads but it’s hard to keep up (and it’s the only thing that keeps him off fortnite so I have to be on the ball!)

OP posts:
Notproudofthisone · 04/04/2018 17:52

I read noughts and crosses in year 7 so was 11/12. Had a sex scene in and we all giggled.

mamaduckbone · 04/04/2018 17:55

Jesus he’d be mortified Grin - I might just buy it for that reason!

Actually, now remember reading the blurb and thinking it sounded too lovey for him.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.