My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Book recommendations, 3 and 6 yo girls

9 replies

gerbilgirl · 13/09/2017 14:14

We are (hopefully) about to adopt and wondered what books anyone would recommend as a must have for 3 and 6 year old girls.
We already have some to deal with feelings/families to assist from the adoption side, but on a general level what books would people recommend?

OP posts:
lorraine12345 · 13/09/2017 18:05

<a class="break-all" href="//www.amazon.co.uk/Spot-Tick-England-Lorraine-Damonte/dp/1786230674?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">//www.amazon.co.uk/Spot-Tick-England-Lorraine-Damonte/dp/1786230674?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

AmaDablam · 13/09/2017 18:21

Dd (4) had a book from the library recently called Fairytale Frankie and the Mermaid which she loved and was great in terms of showing that girls can be brave and strong, and not necessarily "princessy" as the lead characters in books aimed at girls generally are. I believe it is part of a series. She also loves the Charlie and Lola books and Julia Donaldson books always go down well (though some, such as Room on the Broom and the Gruffalo could be slightly scary to some children so I'd very to know your girls a bit first before you judge whether those are appropriate). Millie's Marvellous Hat is another good one, particularly for the older girl.

Having worked professionally with adopted children I can recommend "No Matter What" and "Guess how much I love you" as good "mainstream" books for promoting bonding (though I defy you to read either without a tear in your eye!)

Lots of luck!

Ricekrispie22 · 15/09/2017 06:29

If I were you, I wouldn't be investing too heavily in books. Instead, I'd get a library card and borrow about a dozen books per week. I find that Children are developing so quickly at this age and so outgrow books faster I can keep up with! Having said that, it's still nice to have a small stash of your own so aim to purchase books that are more than just story books. I'm talking about 'search and find' books, interactive books and a book of poems and nursery rhymes. You Choose and Just Imagine by Pippa Goodhart and Nick Sharratt will also be looked at again and again and again! Additonally, non-fiction books are a good investment. www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/article?articleId=top-10-best-search-and-find-books-for-children
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/article?articleId=the-10-most-fun-interactive-books-for-kids&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100
www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/genre/fff/Fascinating-Facts.html
www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/genre/out/Out-and-About.html

fruitpastille · 15/09/2017 06:37

They would probably both enjoy Julia Donaldson being read to them.
My 3 year old loves meg and mog, hairy maclary, kipper, we're going on a bear hunt and many more. 6 year olds often still enjoy picture books as well but for longer stories maybe Roald Dahl?

fruitpastille · 15/09/2017 06:38

Oh yes my 3 year old loves You Choose - good for talking!

brilliotic · 17/09/2017 12:31

Congratulations, how exciting!

I believe it would make sense to start 'younger' than their actual ages. So think maybe 2 and 5 rather than 3 and 6?

At two, many children are only just starting to enjoy stories. Touch and feel books are very popular. Usborne has has large range of those. Also lift-the-flap books.
My own (adopted) DD didn't enjoy books at all for a long time but then grew into them via books based on her TV 'interests' e.g Peppa Pig. Especially those with buttons that make sounds.
'You Choose' is a must, it allows you to model talking about your own preferences and experiences and DC can just point initially, then gradually build up to talking about the 'whys' of their choices. It's fantastic for speech development and also for gaining an insight into their though processes.

DS (not adopted) was a book lover from early on. He enjoyed stories, but also 'non-fiction' so for example books with pictures animal 'houses'.

I'd avoid the Gruffalo for a while. It has this rather insidious message that monsters that are meant not to exist, may actually exist anyway. Quite a few of the Julia Donaldson/Axel Sheffler books have a level of threat. They are lovely books for language development though, due to the superb rhyming. 'A Squash and a Squeeze' should be fine, and 'The Smartest Giant in Town' (though there is a family of mice rendered homeless by a house fire), and a few others.

Judith Kerr's Mog stories, and perhaps The Tiger who came to Tea (though said tiger eats up all the food and drinks all the drink, meaning that the main character Sophie can't at first have supper; might not be appropriate depending on your future DCs' background.)

Nick Butterworth's Percy the park keeper stories are lovely gentle stories featuring animals.

For funny, look at 'Dinosaur that pooped a planet' and similar.

brilliotic · 17/09/2017 12:36

Also 'Handa's surprise' and One Ted Falls Out of Bed.

And yes to 'Going on a Bear Hunt' though the film is rather sad.

gerbilgirl · 21/09/2017 19:27

Thank you so much for all the suggestions :)

I have reserved a few at the local library and looking at you choose I have our very own copy winging its way to us Smile

OP posts:
Applesandpears56 · 21/09/2017 19:30

So exciting.

Julia Donaldson - you can get the cd story tapes too

And the Emma Dodd books mostly for the younger child - really sweet little books

There is just imagine as well as you choose

Most of the classics you had growing up are still used - the jolly postman is still going strong!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.