My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Recommend classic children's books for me to read

64 replies

starfish8 · 22/02/2016 22:09

Have a young DS (not even at school yet) and have been thinking about wanting to reconnect with some classic children's books I read/or didn't as a child myself. Will buy physical copies that can get reused by him over time, and I'd like to support him by being more familiar about the stories myself.

Can anyone add to this list....

Roald Dahl - BFG, Matilda, George's Marvellous Medicine, The Twits, The Witches - List goes on
Harry Potter - Haven't read any of these
Worst Witch - A real favourite as a child
Malory Towers - Another favourite for me when I was little - Ok, probably not one for my son!

Also, read Wonder by R J Palacio last year and really enjoyed this youth novel. Can anyone recommend any must read recent modern young fiction novels too?

Thanks!

OP posts:
RavioliOnToast · 22/02/2016 22:43

The magic faraway tree!

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels · 22/02/2016 22:51

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueEnvelope · 22/02/2016 22:51

The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

DrSeussRevived · 22/02/2016 22:55

Howls moving castle
The box of delighrs

AJ279 · 22/02/2016 22:56

Enid Blyton books are magical. Still remember my mum reading them to me when I was little Smile

SoMuchToBits · 22/02/2016 22:58

A lot will depend on what he actually likes though! My ds ended up not so keen on the magic/fantasy stuff (although he read my Susan Coopers etc), but loved anything realistic, such as the Swallows and Amazons books.

He never read the Earthsea books for example, despite those being some of my favourite books! Similarly, he wouldn't have gone for 'Wonder', as it was too 'touchy-feely' for him, even though I really enjoyed it.

You will have to be guided a lot by what your child likes.

Moln · 22/02/2016 22:59

Anyone said Stig of the Dump (Clive King) yet? Also another good one is The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Joan Aiken).

Katarzyna79 · 22/02/2016 22:59

aww nostalgia, I love jane austen but are they really for young kids as in wee primary kids?

my fave to this day is still roald dahl I think he was a genius. I just saw the witches on tv late night, the grand high witch still managed to freak me out a bit

anyone mentioned "the lion the witch and the wardrobe" theres a series but I cant recall the name.

Allalonenow · 22/02/2016 23:00

Treasure Island is a must!
Biggles

SoMuchToBits · 22/02/2016 23:00

Yep, Moln, I mentioned Stig! Grin

Moln · 22/02/2016 23:02

the Chronicals of Narnia Katar. I find they (the books) get progressively more obvious in their religious connections. Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe you can easily miss it but by the last book it's quite blatant

Moln · 22/02/2016 23:04

Well then SoMuchToBits I second your recommendation!!!

However OP as mentioned don't get these thinking your DS will be interested in reading some, or even a few of these!!

Lurkedforever1 · 22/02/2016 23:05

Watership down and the other one about the lab dogs (forget the title) are the ones I wouldn't read again for anything. (And I read plenty of adult horror at primary age which didn't disturb me). I absolutely hate both those books.

buckingfrolicks · 22/02/2016 23:05

And for very young readers...

Each peach pear plum

Daisy Duck

Dinosaur Roar!

Beatrix Potter

Mog series

Morag series

buckingfrolicks · 22/02/2016 23:05

Katie Morag I mean!

HarveySchlumpfenburger · 22/02/2016 23:08

It's fairly blatant in 'The Magician's Nephew' which is 1st in the series if you take them in order of 'Narnian history'. It was one of the last ones that he published though. The 6th I think.

Katarzyna79 · 22/02/2016 23:14

moln I never thought of them in that light I'll have to read them again. I remember the tv series used to watch it before running off for mosque lessons after school. there were so many good series adapted from kids books back then.

SoMuchToBits · 22/02/2016 23:15

I'd also thoroughly recommend libraries! We used our local one loads when ds was pre school age, for picture books. We bought some too, but borrowing from the library gave us good ideas about what he would like.

At primary school, I got involved with helping in his school library (and still do, even though he is now older and in year 10). It's great to see the kids borrowing books and enjoying them. And don't forget non-fiction. My ds borrowed A LOT of non-fiction books from the school library. From my experience, many boys (more so than girls on average) love borrowing non-fiction books about favourite subjects.

Frontstep · 22/02/2016 23:19

Tom's Midnight Garden

For littler ones:
My Naughty Little Sister - love these for short bedtime reads for younger children
The Alfie stories, Dogger, and any anything else by Shirley Hughes
Mog stories, esp Mog's Christmas
Milly Molly Mandy - maybe more for girls though

Moln · 22/02/2016 23:23

I didn't read all of them Katarzyna79 as a child, depended on what I found at jumble sales. But read them as an adult, when I was aware of they'd were supposed to have Christian parallels and it seemed so obvious!!

MsMarple · 22/02/2016 23:35

Some great suggestions here! I love The Box of Delights - save it for just before Christmas.
Pippi Longstockings is another one I've rediscovered recently. And definitely get some Tintin, DS loves these as much as I did when I was little.

Sgtmajormummy · 22/02/2016 23:39

Talking about early childhood classics.

We had metres of shelf space given over to Ladybird books picked up at charity shops and jumble sales. All the faity tales and lots of early numbers and lletters. Some of them were from MY childhood era (ahem...) and I found the kids loved the story length, book size and easy language even before they could talk properly and certainly before they could read. A great way to introduce them to a love of books.

We had the Mr Men books and reduced them to tatters.

Older Ds was surrounded by Disney Winnie the Pooh (bah!) but Dd got the real one (hooray!).

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Sgtmajormummy · 22/02/2016 23:41

Sorry for the typos, contact lenses are out!

Bloodybridget · 23/02/2016 02:00

Jennings series by Anthony Buckeridge are very funny, good for 7 and over. Russell Hoban's Frances books for younger children.

NotCitrus · 23/02/2016 03:27

Pippi Longstocking is the only longer book my 7yo has enjoyed so far.

Phantom Tollbooth
My Friend Mr Leakey
The Talking Parcel
Flat Stanley

Ladybird Aesop's fables, myths and ledgends, Did You Know? are good.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.