My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Children's books

Oh wise Mumsnetters does anyone know these books from childhood?

9 replies

RainbowCake · 29/04/2015 20:55

This is inspired by another thread about childhood books.
I remember reading and rereading a couple of books when I was 10/11 ( 25 yrs agoHmm) and I loved them and it would be fab to track them down.
The first was about letters left or exchanged in a library book and that is about all I can remember.

The second was about 2 girls and they collected small dolls and some came up for auction and I think one of the girls hid some so the other couldn't buy them.

I seem to remember both books being quite old when I read them. They were hard back in burgandy or green, no paper sleeves.

Anybody have the foggiest what I am talking about?

OP posts:
highlandcoo · 29/04/2015 21:20

OP maybe post this on Adult Fiction page as MNers there are really knowledgeable about books. Might be your best chance of finding the answer.

RainbowCake · 29/04/2015 21:32

Thank you Highlandcoo. Never thought to post there.

OP posts:
BeccaMumsnet · 30/04/2015 10:15

Hi there RainbowCake - we'll pop this over to Children's Books for you.

DeeWe · 30/04/2015 10:42

I remember the first I think. I wonder if it was by Betsy Byers, as I remember it being next to "The Computer Nut" in the library as I got them out at the same time.

I don't recall the second at all, although it did make me think of the little doll in the freezer book, but that was for much younger children.

There was a thread ages ago where people asked for help locating children's books, and people were really good. I found 2 out of 3 that I asked for, which was brilliant.

RainbowCake · 30/04/2015 10:53

Thank you for moving it Becca.

Thanks DeeWe, I'll have a look through her books, it's really bugging me.
I think they may have been written in 50's or even earlier. My dad came home with loads of books one day and I know there was a lot of boarding school/jolly hockey sticks type.

OP posts:
RainbowCake · 10/05/2015 14:10

Anyone?
Thank you again DeeWe, but wasnt a Betsy Byers book, they are too modern x

OP posts:
MaureenMacnally · 17/05/2015 13:41
Phalarope · 17/05/2015 19:31

Is the doll one Tottie: the Story if a Dolls House? Vague recollections of an auction being involved somewhere...

RainbowCake · 19/05/2015 20:56

Ooh it could be The dead letter box, but I don't remember a friend moving, though it was a very very long time ago.

Thank you Phalarope but nope. The dolls were just dolls, but there was a rivalry between 2 girls for them.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.