My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Book suggestions for 7 yo DD that are not "scary"

11 replies

BrokenBananaTantrum · 13/01/2014 18:27

DD is a good reader and has enjoyed the Rainbow Fairy books but she is bored of them now. Problem is she won't read anything which is even slightly scary and I'm struggling to find her anything. She also likes the My Funny Family books. Can anyone suggest some books she might like please?

OP posts:
afromom · 13/01/2014 18:33

The Emil books are hilarious, by Astrid Lindgren

Magic Faraway Tree? (Are they too scary?)

Roahl Dahl books? Fantastic Mr Fox, etc

DS is 9 and loves the Malory Towers Books (he'd kill me if he knew if just broadcast that on the Internet!Grin)
He read one of them as a school reading book at the end of year 2 and has been hooked ever since! They may be a bit old though?

beatricequimby · 13/01/2014 18:43

My dd is the same age and also dislikes anything scarey. She does like a lot of Enid Blyton eg St Clare's and Five Find-Outers. Not Famous Five as apparently they are frightening.

She reads a lot of out-of-print fiction which I get on second-hand websites like Abe books. The Sheltie books by Peter Clover are a really nice series about a little girl's adventures with her pony. Also the Ramona books by Beverley Cleary about a feisty, quirky girl and her day-to-day adventures. The Ramona books are in print

You could also try
Pippi Longstocking
Princess Mirabelle by Julia Donaldson
The Melendy series by Elizabeth Enright (available second hand)
The Fairy Doll, Holly & Ivy, Miss Happiness & Miss Flower and Little Plum by Rumer Godden
Five Children and It by E Nesbit (this is my dd's favourite book)

BrokenBananaTantrum · 13/01/2014 19:44

Brilliant. Thanks for these suggestions. These will keep her busy for a while.

OP posts:
nonicknameseemsavailable · 13/01/2014 20:22

Has she read any Holly Webb books? loads of them to choose from.

DD1 age 6 is enjoying the Jill Tomlinson books (Owl who was afraid of the dark, the otter who wanted to know, the cat who wanted to go home and titles along those sort of lines), nice animal stories.

erm Winnie the Witch chapter books? My Naughty Little Sister, Iggy and Me, The Naughtiest Girl in the School, The Worst Witch, Enchanted Wood etc, Charlotte's Web, Little Grey Rabbit, Tilly Tiptoes, Lucky Star, Secret Mermaid, Willow Valley, My Naughty Little Puppy. Some might be too basic for her but she still might like them.

BlueChampagne · 14/01/2014 13:12

Dick King-Smith "Sophie" books might suit

BlueChampagne · 14/01/2014 13:13

Oh, and the Claude books by Alex T Smith.

BrokenBananaTantrum · 15/01/2014 22:22

Thanks everyone. Going to try all these suggestions.

OP posts:
Permanentlyexhausted · 15/01/2014 22:32

Naughtiest Girl in the School and the Amelia Jane books both by Enid Blyton. Judy Moody series by egan Macdonald. Books by Jeremy Strong.

mintberry · 15/01/2014 22:36

I second the 'Sophie' books... My grandma bought them for me when I was that age and I couldn't put them down! Grin

RememberYoureAWomble · 17/01/2014 09:33

My 6YO DS and 3YO DD both love the Anna Hibiscus books by Atinuke. We're also enjoying The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark by Jill Tomlinson at the moment. None of these are at all scary.

IndianMummy · 17/01/2014 11:06

Nina and the Travelling Spice Shed series - not scary, but depending on reading level may be a little difficult to read alone...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.