My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

5yr old ds wants to read chapter books like his big brother

9 replies

Beechview · 04/07/2013 21:33

Are there any very simple chapter books around?

OP posts:
Beamur · 04/07/2013 21:36

These say from 7, but might be ok if he is a reasonable reader.
www.bettybirney.com/humphreyville.html
My DD reads these and she is 6.

Beamur · 04/07/2013 21:36
Beechview · 04/07/2013 21:46

Thanks but he's not upto that standard yet:)

A bit more simple than that, if there are any around.

OP posts:
Beamur · 04/07/2013 22:02

I haven't read a lot of these, but this link might give some ideas.
www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/5-year-old
My DD has also enjoyed these - much shorter than the Humphrey books, but they do still have chapters.
www.amazon.com/Literacy-Edition-Storyworlds-Stage-Animal/dp/0435114220/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372971680&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=cobra%20cat%20tabitha&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

JiltedJohnsJulie · 04/07/2013 22:14

My 5yo dd has just discovered the early readers in our local library. She particularly enjoys the Horrid Henry ones, but that could just be the influence of her big brother...Smile

Beechview · 04/07/2013 22:15

Thanks. I'll look through the Goodreads list and check out the cobra cat books.
We've got the songbird books. The Young Pirates book looks just the thing! He loves pirates :)

OP posts:
Beechview · 04/07/2013 22:16

thanks for the early Readers link. Off to look...

OP posts:
Periwinkle007 · 05/07/2013 12:52

There are quite a lot of early readers around now and hopefully is an expanding area. They are also great for older readers who are struggling and for children with visual processing problems as well as the fonts are normally bigger.

My personal recommendations (based on my 5yr old DD who loves reading them herself) are
The Lighthouse Keeper - there are 4 that are published as early reader chapter books
There are the Early Reader Horrid Henry/Moody Margaret/Rainbow Fairies (yes ok he probably won't want the fairies but in case someone with a daughter is reading this)
There are Corgi Pups/Corgi Colour First Readers/Sainsburys Colour First Readers which are all the same - written by Dick King Smith, Sandi Toksvig, Jan Page and lots of other people. the ones we have had have all been fun stories, variety of subjects so should be something to appeal to everyone.
Orion Early Readers - again a mix of topics and characters
Usborne Beginners (non fiction) and Usborne Young Reading Series 1 - whole range of stories.
Julia Donaldson has done some - were originally published as Red/blue Bananas. Animals in School, Follow the Swallow and there are others by different authors too in the bananas. Red Bananas are book band 10/11ish and blue ones are from about book band 7/8/9 - again depends on the book but gives you an idea.

reading levels vary - the usborne beginners are book band 8 or 9 and the Young Reading Series 1 are 10s I think it says on their website. The other Early Reader ones are about 10-11ish depending on the book.

thebookbears.wordpress.com/early-reader-books/ is a list of some of the ones we have found.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.