My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Ranger's Apprentice: what next?

3 replies

wearymum200 · 06/09/2012 21:39

DS1, 6, has devoured most of the series this holiday. He has a couple left and then the Brotherband ones by the same author, but then what? I have been trying to find something similar, but bearing in mind he's only 6, has anyone got any suggestions for really stirring heroic stuff?
He's got "The Hobbit" at the moment, but I don't think he'll manage Lord of the Rings (hey, I've never managed to finish it either...)
Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
DisorderlyNights · 08/09/2012 16:03

Really stirring heroic books for a 6 year old;
The Chronicles of Narnia
Arthurian legends (there are so many retellings of these, most excellent)
BeastQuest - although not high quality literature, at least there are loads of them!
The first Harry Potter (but not past the 3rd for this age-group, IMO)
The Charlie Bone series

If he enjoys the Hobbit he'll cope well with any of those.

I would encourage you to get breadth to his reading if you can, at this age. So take him to a library and try out funny stuff, then classics, then comic books, etc...

wearymum200 · 08/09/2012 16:50

Thanks. We'll try Charlie Bone; he's read all the Narnia ones and got bored of BQ after about 40 of them. I'd held off Harry Potter remebering how scary they are, but maybe we'll give the early ones a go!
He does read widely, lots of nonfiction some Blyton, myths and legends, retold classics etc ,but Ranger's Apprentice has really swept him along and I am keen to find something similar!

OP posts:
DisorderlyNights · 08/09/2012 17:20

It's tough with a 6 year old who is such a good reader - there is so little that is long and meaty yet not too scary, particularly with boys - more choice for younger girls (possibly because more of them are good readers?)

I think Charlie Bone may fit the bill definitely a notch down from HP, scariness wise. We're only up to number 5, but I don't think they ratchet up.
I haven't found the 1st 3 HP any scarier than the Hobbit or Narnia. The prob is they can then want to read the later ones, which as well as being quite dark, have some romance and mild swearing.

Does he like funny stuff? Dahl, Jeremy Strong and the Mr Gum books all very popular with my son at this age, as well as adventurous.

My kids don't enjoy Michael Morpurgo books much as they're a bit humourless, but kids who don't like silly-funny stuff seem to like him, and it's beautifully written. I'd try the Butterfly Lion or the Lone Wolf first. His retelling of Arthur or Robin Hood might suit your DS too, though I haven't read them so not certain they're suitable. Avoid his war stories though; way too traumatic for a 6 year old.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.