My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Great Children's Libraries?

18 replies

GoldysMum · 23/05/2012 13:35

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I'm looking for a really great children's library where I can do some filming for a charity who have asked me to put something together for a reading and child related event. I'm ideally looking for somewhere bright and colourful with lots of different areas/corners/nooks/crannies etc where I can get shots of children's books in the background and maybe murals on the walls with beanbags or comfy seating around. I've got a picture in my mind but not sure if it exists so any suggestions of lovely children's libraries would be much appreciated. It also needs to be somewhere that closes on at least one day during the week so that we can film there when closed - and ideally not too far outside of London.

OP posts:
iseenodust · 23/05/2012 21:40

Closing on one day during the week could make your search difficult. Have you considered approaching larger schools?

Gumby · 23/05/2012 21:46

New library in London, looks super cool

www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/first-look-inside-londons-14m-new-superlibrary-6370696.html

Norwich also has a fab library

Sittinginthesun · 23/05/2012 21:47

Chorleywood library has a good children's section. (Our local primary school has a lovely library, bit not sure about filming in it).

teacherwith2kids · 23/05/2012 21:48

Cheltenham.

Separate children's library, several different areas, sofas, toys, lots of events going on....

juneybean · 23/05/2012 21:49

Gateshead Central Library got a refurb in 2010 and its fantastic now, the children's area is really welcoming and tactile but its like 300 miles from London... sorry...

GoldysMum · 24/05/2012 10:01

Thanks everyone. Sittinginthesun, Chorleywood sounds promising and is closed one day a week too. I will give them a call. Any other suggestions much appreciated as still searching.

OP posts:
DeWe · 24/05/2012 10:51

Have yoy tried bookshops? Some are very similar in the children's department to your description.

GoldysMum · 24/05/2012 12:18

Thanks DeWe I've thought of that but I think it would be difficult to film if they were open and being a charity, there isn't a lot of money to pay to close a shop. Lots of libraries do close one day a week so it seems like it might be a good option.

OP posts:
Merrylegs · 25/05/2012 20:55

Yes. Except the library staff won't be paid to come and let you in on the day they are closed.

GoldysMum · 25/05/2012 21:46

Yes I think we would be able to pay council security staff an hourly rate to be with us on the day - we have a small budget but probably not enough to close a shop for a day! Thanks again for all suggestions - Chorleywood probably too small but they've suggested Watford - anywhere else?

OP posts:
Campaspe · 26/05/2012 18:48

Bristol Central Library has a large children's area with books shelved in a big replica pirate ship. There is lots of children's art on the walls, lots of seats, and quiet areas. It sounds perfect, but may be too far out of London for you to use?

nickelbarapasaurus · 28/05/2012 12:38

you could use my bookshop, if it helps.
can't guarantee it's exactly what you're looking for, but areas of it would suit. :)

PM me if you want to discuss it.

nickelbarapasaurus · 28/05/2012 12:39

(i close at 5, and the sun is out now till gone 8o'clock!)

and i am closed on sundays

GoldysMum · 28/05/2012 14:47

Hi again. Nickel, I did a search and found your bookshop. It looks great but I think even with the sunshine that 5-8 might be a little late for filming as it's all involving children. Also not keen to do it on a Sunday, so you can see our criteria means finding the right place isn't so simple. Thank you for your kind offer though. Campaspe, I'm thinking I would travel now for the right location but some of the bigger better libraries don't close on that one day a week and Bristol is actually open 7 days a week.

OP posts:
nickelbarapasaurus · 28/05/2012 15:16

It would depend how much you were offering to close me for the day...

Campaspe · 28/05/2012 18:31

Yes, it's a busy library so you would need to approach the children's librarian directly to discuss. It might be worth giving them a ring to see if they can recommend other areas.

My little branch library is wonderful and the manager bends over backwards to be accommodating, but it may be too small for your requirements? It's Wick Road Library in Bristol and I am on the library committee, so feel free to message me if I can be of further assistance.

sugarspiceandallthingsnice324 · 31/05/2012 15:22

Paddington library has two buildings - one specifically for children. Children's library is closed on sunday.

Also have friends who use swiss cottage library and it has quite cool decoration.

Also had a google search - what about shepherds bush library - cool design:
www.patton.co.uk/project/shepherds-bush-library-london-uk/

GoldysMum · 13/08/2012 10:06

Thank you all for your suggestions which led to me finding Watford Central Library as a location. Thought you might like to see the results - would be great if you could like RNIB on facebook after viewing :-)

.be
OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.