My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Joint bedtime stories for DS 6 and Dd 4?

9 replies

SharonGless · 28/03/2012 22:10

Both children love books but there is some conflict at the moment regarding their bedtime story. I am encouraging them to take it in turns to choose the story so we have a variety. What do other people do?
We have most Julia Donaldson books, regularly visit the library etc. I would like to progress to some more interesting books for DS but would you now do different stories?

Advice pleas oh wondrous MN

OP posts:
SecretSpi · 29/03/2012 08:54

Maybe you could have one joint story going and a couple of nights a week let them have different ones, depending on how much time you have! A couple of old but good stories that would be good for both are The Little Wooden Horse and Gobbolino by Ursula Moray Williams.

margoandjerry · 29/03/2012 12:47

I have a similar problem. I think the solution is to converge on the ones the younger one can cope with but that the older one still enjoys (and probably won't admit). My DD and DS are 5.5 and 2.5 and he just has no interest in her books (George's Marvellous Medicine for example) so will just set about destroying the bedroom while I read her that whereas they are both quite happy with something like Charlie & Lola which is very visual but has some narrative drive as well. They also both like anything by Nick Sharrat (Three Billy Goats Gruff) and both like Mini Gray/Hillaire Belloc's Jim - again very visual for the younger one but with strong narration for the older one.

Leeds2 · 29/03/2012 17:36

Mr Men/Little Miss books.

Winnie the Witch books.

Dr Seuss books.

Takver · 29/03/2012 19:12

Is your 4 y/o happy to listen to chapter books? If so I would try some old favourites - things like

Teddy Robinson
My Naughty Little Sister
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf

plus Gobbolino as suggested above would appeal to both I'd think.

wearymum200 · 29/03/2012 21:34

Paddington, Alfie, Katie Morag
DS1 and DD2 (6 and 3) don't have a joint bedtime story as by then, DD2 just needs comfort books and to get to bed fast, so I do stories separately. But at other times, when trying to find things both of them will enjoy, we do Winnie the Pooh, Wind in the Willows, Little Tim and other similar chapter books wiht lots of lovely pictures

SharonGless · 29/03/2012 23:33

Glad it's not just me who finds it tricky. They sometimes love mr men/little miss but I can't stand them any more! Some good suggestions here thanks. We went through a stage of Alfie and Annie Rose but they got fed up with it.

OP posts:
Tgger · 30/03/2012 12:36

We swapped to different stories as DS (5) likes much longer and complicated generally than DD (3). I still read them stuff together, just not at bedtime. If it's too long DD will generally wander off. They both liked The Enormous Crocodile, Roald Dahl and DS liked The Giraffe, The Pelly and me (rather long but good!). Paddington, Charlie and Lola, Winnie the Pooh, still go down well. DD likes the Tinga tinga tales books and DS likes Knights and Dragons stories- DD likes some of these too, she is quite happy to be read the story about Blackbeard getting his head cut off- good picture too!!! There is a series called Hopscotch adventures designed for children to read themselves, but we read to them with lots of those stories!

liveinazoo · 30/03/2012 12:43

i have 6 and 4 sharing stories..on night we arent all too tired sometimes i read seperately but i find funny stories tick the box for ds and dd is equally impressed

the mole who knew it was none of his business

dirty bertie

smelly peter the great pea eater

dragon stew

are all very popular at the moment.julia donaldson is ongoing in the zoo house..even soon to be 8yo dd will snuggle and join them in theres one of those being read

crazygracieuk · 30/03/2012 20:11

My 5 year old likes
Mr Men and Little Miss
The Twits
The Enormous Crocodile
Hairy McLairy
Dr Seuss
Usborne 1001 Things to Spot
You Choose
Usborne - Living in Space, Pirates
Usborne- See Inside series

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.