My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Moving on from those blasted Rainbow Fairies.

21 replies

clemetteattlee · 05/03/2012 23:01

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books series for 7 year old girls. My DD (almost 7) has been obsessively reading the Rainbow Fairies series for a couple of years now and is FINALLY saying she is a little bored of them (thank God).
She is keen to find a book "series" in which she can read about repeating characters. She likes books about humans (no magical cats, although fairies are apparently OK) and the real world (Faraway Tree left her cold) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
She has really enjoyed the Iggy and Me series but has finished the books, and loves Princess Mirrorbelle...

OP posts:
MeDented · 05/03/2012 23:04

Malory towers?

MrsBovary · 05/03/2012 23:06

Madame Pamplemousse or the Ottoline book series?

bibbityisaporker · 05/03/2012 23:08

The Jill Murphy Worst Witch books.

The Clarice Bean books by Lauren Child.

Pippi Longstocking.

clemetteattlee · 05/03/2012 23:24

Brilliant - thank you

OP posts:
NoPinkPlease · 06/03/2012 00:01

Spell sisters? New series - look fab :-)

Takver · 06/03/2012 09:03

Animal Ark?

FloellaDaVille · 06/03/2012 09:07

The Jeremy Strong books are great, Mr Gum series by Andy Stanton, Scarlett Silver books (about a girl pirate - can't remember the author). All very popular with my 7 year old.

Leeds2 · 06/03/2012 09:09

Judy Moody books by Megan McDonald (similar to Iggy and Me)

Daisy And The Trouble With ....... books by Kes Gray

Mr Majeika series by Humphrey Carpenter

The Battersea Dogs And Cats Home books. I think they are by Sarah Hawkins, and each book is the name of a dog eg Max, Coco etc

Seeline · 06/03/2012 09:10

All the Enid Blyton - Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, St Clairs, Famous Five
Tum Tum and Nutmeg
The Borrowers
Molly Moon

flapperghasted · 06/03/2012 09:13

Take heart...they soon grow out of the Rainbow Fairy magic nonsense, though it seems to last forever whilst they're clawing their way through book 22 of 76 or whatever it is now. They're just so candy-flossish...all saccharine sweetness and no substance (shudders at the thought of the blardy rainbow phase). DD went from these to not wanting to read much (which freaked me out) to Animal Ark, which were equally formulaic) to Worst Witch, Clarice Bean then Harry Potter.

She's now 11 and we're both reading Skulduggery Pleasant books. She's also read Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett and Michael Morpurgo. She often follows the trends in class, but she's a great little reader now and will read for pleasure nearly every day.

savoycabbage · 06/03/2012 09:16

My dd fell in love with reading when she discovered the secret seven. She loved them and then went on to St. Clare's and Mallory Towers.

She also liked Madonna's chapter book series.

daenerysstormborn · 06/03/2012 09:18

dd has really enjoyed felicity wishes, clarice bean and a series by judy blume called 'the pain and the great one'.

Seeline · 06/03/2012 09:19

Just posted on another thread and reminded me of The Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence. If she's into history, these may be quite good. Same group of children solving mysteries in the Roman period, based on factual events.

orangina · 06/03/2012 09:22

DD is nearly seven and (thank gawd) got fed up of the bloody rainbow fairies too. She is now reading:

Malory Towers
Naughty Amelia Jane (though I can't stand her!)
Pipp Longstocking books, plus anything else by Astrid whatshername (Lotta says No is a favourite.......)
Tumtum and Nutmeg (a bit)
Olga da Polga
Katie Morag
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (very funny!)

She reads NON STOP now, it's difficult to keep up with her.

MadameMessy · 06/03/2012 09:34

I second Judy moody, lovely books and Judy is not simperingly girly.
yy to Enid Blyton. Dd loves those ones about the girl who joins the circus, Mr Galliano? They are a bit younger than the boarding school ones too.
Also what about the classics? What Katy did, little women, Anne of greengables etc?

Theas18 · 06/03/2012 09:58

Anything by Dick King Smith they are brilliant, she'll love them and so will you. THe animal ones are Fab but also the Sophie books - Sophie is "small but very determined"!

Takver · 06/03/2012 12:01

YY, definitely the Sophie books if she likes real life stories about proper people!

clemetteattlee · 07/03/2012 00:18

Thank you all -some brilliant ideas here and I am looking forward to hearing her reading them!!

OP posts:
ParkView · 07/03/2012 00:28

Ramona Quimby by Beverly Cleary (series about a small girl and her bigger sister)
Moomins (though maybe too fantasyish for her)

Queenofcake · 07/03/2012 00:41

The Ottoline books by Chris Riddell.

Ottoline and the yellow cat
Ottoline at sea
Ottoline goes to school

BlueChampagne · 07/03/2012 13:44

Joan Aiken?

Second Clever Polly and Olga da Polga - loved those as a kid myself!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.