My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

The definitive list of books for an 8 year old boy

50 replies

MrsHeffley · 17/01/2012 17:37

Ds8 has read loads(book worm) and we need some recommendations we may have missed before he runs out(he's a nightmare without a book he loves as he's not into toys).He's read;-

everything by Enid Blyton
all the Harry Potters
all the David Walliams
Judy Moody series
both Fart Powders
Spiderwick Chronicals
Humphrey series
Mr Gum series
Invisible children series
Wimpey Kid series
Hamster Massacre trilogy

Currently reading the Narnia books and have got The Borrowers and the Lemony Snickett series.What are the Judy Blume Fudge books like?He's read The Great One series.

TIA

OP posts:
birdsofshoreandsea · 17/01/2012 17:48

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsHeffley · 17/01/2012 17:51

Thanks we've got the big hardback Tollins are there others?Dd has Tumtum and Nutmeg hadn't thought of that for the boys.

OP posts:
Thevelveteenrabbit · 17/01/2012 17:52

Michael morpurgo?
Terry Pratchet has done a few childrens books.

birdsofshoreandsea · 17/01/2012 17:52

birdsofshoreandsea · 17/01/2012 17:54

GrimmaTheNome · 17/01/2012 17:54

Yes, obviously Terry Pratchett's Bromeliad Trilogy!

Swallows and Amazons series.

GrimmaTheNome · 17/01/2012 17:54

Oh, Just William...

MrsHeffley · 17/01/2012 17:55

He found MM too sad.He read Where the Whales Came??? Also the one about the whale in the Thames but wasn't keen.

OP posts:
birdsofshoreandsea · 17/01/2012 17:59

DilysPrice · 17/01/2012 18:02

Roald Dahl, obvs.
Percy Jackson series
Captain Underpants
Little Wolf
Horrible Science

MrsHeffley · 17/01/2012 18:02

I snuck the whale in the Thames one whilst we were in London over Christmas,didn't realise said whale carked it.SadShould have known there would only be one ending with MM.Grin

OP posts:
GrimmaTheNome · 17/01/2012 19:27

I didn't think all the Michael Morpurgos were sad - I'm thinking of Adolphus Tips though maybe for a couple of years time (trying to remember when DD first read it - she's just re-read it which is unusual for her so must be good)

exexpat · 17/01/2012 19:55

No Anthony Horowitz mentioned yet? If he's read all the Harry Potters he should be fine with Alex Rider, Groosham Grange, the Diamond Brothers series. Granny is brilliant, but the horror ones are probably a bit old still.

Would also agree with Percy Jackson.

Bootleg, Tins, Sea Legs and Land Lubbers by Alex Shearer were some of DS's favourite books at that age - now seem to be out of print, but available second-hand on Amazon for 1p plus P&P.

He also loved some Michael Morpurgo ones at that age, I think his favourite was Kensuke's Kingdom.

Louis Sachar is also brilliant - Holes is the best known, but also Dogs Don't Tell Jokes, There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom etc.

If he is into magical stuff, then Eva Ibbotson has written some great books for this age - The Secret of Platform 13, Island of the Aunts, Not Just a Witch & more. Also One Dog and his Boy, which DD (9) read recently and loved.

Also Susan Cooper's The Boggart plus sequel were good.

Bluestocking · 17/01/2012 19:57

Roger Lancelyn Green - excellent retellings of Greek/Roman/Norse/Egyptian myths

The Uncle books by JP Martin - these are totally surreal and hilarious, and have just been republished

Rosemary Sutcliffe's historical novels - Warrior Scarlet and The Eagle of the Ninth are particular favourites

Kipling - Just So Stories is an easy read, The Jungle Book might be OK

Anthony Buckeridge's Jennings and Derbyshire books - unjustly neglected, much better than Just William

John Masefield - The Midnight Folk and The Box of Delights

Eve Garnett - The Family from One End Street and sequels

birdsofshoreandsea · 17/01/2012 21:02

birdsofshoreandsea · 17/01/2012 21:02

GrimmaTheNome · 17/01/2012 21:16

TBH I reckon some of the Alex Riders are a bit strong for an 8 year old ... the one where he's lined up to have his organs transplanted for instance.

Louis Sachar is also brilliant - Holes is the best known, but also Dogs Don't Tell Jokes, There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom etc.

There's a tantalising 'etc' there... DD loves Holes (they did it in school and she's read it herself since a couple of times) but I hadn't heard of any of his others - what age range please?

exexpat · 17/01/2012 21:26

DS read most of the Alex Rider ones between the ages of 7 and 9 and didn't seem too traumatised - but it depends on the child.

Louis Sachar - there's the Wayside School series, which is fun but lightweight. Marvin Redpost series is younger - maybe age 5-8ish?

His sequel to Holes, Small Steps, came out a couple of years ago, but DS said it wasn't as good as Holes. Also the Cardturner, which he did like, I think.

Other ones aimed at that sort of age group include Someday, Angeline, which I think is really good (linked to Dogs Don't Tell Jokes). And DD (9) read Pig City recently and enjoyed it.

There's a whole list of them on Amazon here.

exexpat · 17/01/2012 21:27

Oh, and as far as Anthony Horowitz goes, the Diamond Brothers series, Groosham Grange and Granny are definitely more suitable for younger children than Alex Rider.

Somersaults · 17/01/2012 21:32

My Y4 class were really into the BeastQuest books last year. We also read an online World Cup book by Tom Palmer but I know he's written other football thrillers which might be worth looking at too.

DilysPrice · 17/01/2012 21:54

Oh, and Bottersnikes and Gumbles if you can lay your hands on a copy.

aviatrix · 17/01/2012 22:22

birdsofshoreandsea · 17/01/2012 22:26

Wolfiefan · 17/01/2012 22:30

Yay for Sachar!
Much shame here but my son loves beast quest and dinosaur cove. We all love Dahl and he has enjoyed Horrid Henry. Our local library has a reference book with recommended reads for different age groups.

aviatrix · 17/01/2012 22:32

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.