My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Pony book recommendations for 9 year old girl

41 replies

Wheelybug · 03/12/2011 19:19

I like to buy my goddaughter a book for her birthday (as well as what she wants !). Ideally one that I loved as a child. She is suddenly
Pony mad and I was but am struggling to find any of the ones I read still in print.

Any recommendations ?

Good new ones for this age would also be considered.

Thanks

OP posts:
PastGrace · 03/12/2011 23:08

I used to love the Saddle Club books when I was younger (author Bonnie Bryant). They're American and on the trashy side of pony books. There's a slightly younger range called "Pony Tails". They are all kicking around on Amazon
Pony Tails but not available new. Saddle Club

PastGrace · 03/12/2011 23:10

Sorry, didn't see the more recent posts.

Stan that is amazing. I remember being so jealous of the girls who got to pose with the ponies, so to be the owner of the pony....

WineOhWhy · 05/12/2011 23:22

Gap in the Market here me thinks - some budding author should become a modern day pullein thompson

Moodykat · 05/12/2011 23:32

I tried once, when I was about 12, to write my own. It was bad! Maybe time to try again?!
Saddle Club, Jill and Jinny were the best. Also a book called "Cross Country Pony" but can't remember who it was by!

vesela · 07/12/2011 22:44

I bought Black Hunting Whip from GGBP for my niece today.

Fidra Books publish a fair few pony books.

Littletonlady · 09/12/2011 03:30

Oh the Saddle Club I loved that series when I was ten. Had a huge collection (now long gone to the charity shop) really enjoyed picking the next one in the 'Smiths. Probably best to get book one first as it sets up the characters but not essential I started part way through then read book one and wished I read it first. After that each book can be read out of order.

Fennel · 09/12/2011 09:21

Wheelybug, I bought a set of those Jinny books new on Book people a few weeks ago, so they should be around still.

mummytime · 09/12/2011 09:48

There are loads of Pony books.
Pony Camp series
Magic pony, the one I want as its a poster which becomes a read pony
Written by Pippa Funnnell a read horsewoman
The for older girls Pony Club or Rivals or Pony whisperer
Then there are a couple of US series as well, can't remember their names right now.

misshappinessandmissflower · 09/12/2011 20:49

Another vote for Fly-by-Night by K M Peyton - I think its one of the best ones for girls who love ponies but either don't have one or aren't from a ponyish family. I also loved the Pullein Thomson sisters books. My favourite was Six Ponies by Josephine PT.

kellestar · 13/12/2011 20:42

Saddle Club is by Bonnie Bryant, I think you can get them on the second hand market easily and cheaply enough. I read tons of these as a horse loving teen.

Joanna Campbell's A Horse Called Wonder also US but was a great series.

Walter Farley The Black Stallion series was very popular, picked up 20 in the series at the charity shop a couple of months ago for DNeice

Marguerite Henry wrote some books about Misty the Chincoteague which i loved.

Mary O'Hara's lovely books, My Friend Flicka

National Velvet by Enid Bagnold

The Horse from the Sea was recommended to me recently, by Victoria Holmes

Patricia Leitch wrote the Jinny at Finmoray series, these are still on my book shelf at my mums.

I'd recommend second hand book shops, give them a list, they will send you an e-mail if anything comes in. Abebooks is also good for a few odd books to complete a series, postage can be a little high at times.

jennifersofia · 14/12/2011 23:20

Just read 'National Velvet' with our 10 & 9 yr old dds. Fantastic book and they did enjoy it, but it really did need reading aloud so there could be lots of adult explanation. Language is complicated, with technical terms and colloquialisms.

LynnHenry · 30/12/2011 12:54

Hi Wheelybug, do you think your granddaughter is looking for a book that features ponies - like Black Beauty - or a book that helps her understand ponies?

pinkandsparklytoo · 22/01/2012 21:23
mumeuro · 06/07/2012 11:30

ooh the Jill books as already suggested and I used to love the My Friend Flikka books too

mumeuro · 06/07/2012 11:41

just remembered another one: Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry, gorgeous book!

MoonlightandRoses · 06/07/2012 22:41

Don't know if Year of the Black Pony has been reprinted, but it's a great read. I think I was around your goddaughter's age when I first read it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.