My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Framed: read the book, see the paintings!

3 replies

Himalaya · 12/05/2011 23:53

I've just finshed reading Framed by Frank Cottrell Boyce with 8 yr old DS. The story is about a boy in a small town in Wales and what happens when the National Gallery paintings are evacuated to an old slate mine nearby. Over the course of the book it features a dozen different paintings in the story.

So I printed of a map of the national gallery and looked up which rooms they were in on the websited and marked up the map and gave it to DS, and went to the National Gallery to find them.

It worked really well (he probably enjoyed the orienteering around the gallery as much as the paintings)

Anyway I was quite proud of this educational outing and recommend it highly (and also wanted to see if anyone else on here was nerdy enough to have done this).

OP posts:
Takver · 14/05/2011 17:42

That sounds absolutely fantastic!

Himalaya · 15/05/2011 00:04

Takver - yes it was really good (good book too) I don't know why the NG don't do it as a trail.

The thing that worked was doing the navigation and finding the paintings described in the book, and that it was only 12 paintings, si we didn't get burnt out with gallery exhaustion.

My dad used to take me to the NG every year for the xmas quiz which is similar. But they don't do it anymore.

We've just started reading Frank CB's ' cosmic' - so wondering where next field trip will be -Grin

OP posts:
Takver · 15/05/2011 15:00

I haven't seen any of Frank CB's books, will look out for them now - esp as the National Gallery is on my list for when we next have a trip to London. I remember doing quizzes in the National Portrait Gallery when I was little, great fun.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.