My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

3-4 year olds

13 replies

ruthie76 · 16/10/2010 08:58

Hi

I love reading and loved it as a youngster.

I am trying to get my DS engrossed in books.

We love Dinosaurs love underpants and the Tiger who came to tea.

I am trying with Dr Suess - but no joy

Any recommendations for a little boy to get him interested in reading.

He currently attends a speech therapist and I think if I read more to him (books that would interest him) his speech might improve.

Have joined local library to help in this quest but he seems more interested in the fact that you can borrow DVD's

Thanks

R

OP posts:
InGodWeTrust · 16/10/2010 19:50

Have you tried extended nursery rhymes? "You can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man...", Hansel & Gretle etc...? Long enough to hold his attention but not long enough to bore him to tears. In the next year or two you can try some Roald Dahlor Enid Blyton (they don't age, they get re-written to comply to pc rules :) ) x

MrsVincentPrice · 16/10/2010 19:55

I would recommend a lovely book called Naughty Bus if the library has it. It has miraculous powers to engage that age group.
Wibbly Pig and Kipper books (Mick Inkpen) are also worth a try, and Duck in a Truck and its sequels.

llareggub · 16/10/2010 20:16

My DS loves Duck in a Truck, Super Duck and Fix it Duck. We've started things like The Enormous Crocodile (a hit) and non-fiction stuff too.

Sometimes he prefers non-fiction because we can sit down together and talk about the pages and he can ask questions. He has a few books about the body with lift-up flaps, and history book of settlements through the ages. This particular books seems to have a fascination with toilets so he plays spot the loo which really engages him!

Then there are things like The Gruffalo, Stick Man etc.

icecream24 · 16/10/2010 20:20

The Percy the Park Keeper series written by Nick Butterworth, is very popular here

The Blue Balloon,
Threadbear,
Bear,
any of the Kipper series
all by Mick Inkpen
these are lovely books and really are favouites of mine and the children!

also:

Aliens love underpants

We're going on a Bear Hunt

Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt

The Ravenous Beast by Niamh Sharkey

The Gruffalo, although my children found it a bit scary and weren't keen but I know it's popular with a lot of children

Room on the broom

The amazing machines collection by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker
www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Machines-Truckload-Fun/dp/0753461544/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287256672&sr=1-2&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21
they all rhyme and are popular with my boys, titles like flashing fire engines, brilliant boats, trains, space rockets, all sorts of vehicles

Hope that's given you a few ideas

SpookyNoise · 16/10/2010 20:22

My DS is very nearly 4, and he loves a book called 'Hippos Go Beserk'.

icecream24 · 16/10/2010 20:35

Just had to add, I couldn't forget this series!

Little Red Train books by Benedict Blathwayt

mufti · 16/10/2010 20:38

we love the apple tree farm series
alfie stories

nogwells · 16/10/2010 20:43

Where the wild things are is popular with my girls, as are lots of the ones already mentioned and theres Whiff.

allhallowsandwine · 16/10/2010 20:54

hairy maclarry from dondaldsons dairy are a good read and alot fun, not too long either.

dont put your finger in the jelly nelly

theres a shark in the park...has a repetative theme that you can shout out together.

some dogs do

baby brains is funny also

little rabbit foo foo...this is very rhyming and has lots of bits to chant together.

the nursery rhymme idea from ingodwetrust, is great this can make reading fun as you can memorise them together and sing chant wisper etc to keep engagement. i have a great one with things like hicory dicory doc and wee willy winky in it.

maybe dr suisse is a little too advanced although I had some very good dr siuess board books which i ordered from waterstones with just basic rhymms and a short version of cat in the hat.

TigersChick · 16/10/2010 20:57

Julia Donaldson stories are a hit here (Gruffalo, Stick Man, Tiddler etc etc etc)
Also, Eric Carle has a new book out which DD loves - "Slowly, slowly, slowly," said the Sloth - as well as The Very Hungry Caterpillar, of course!

DD also likes books from tv programmes she likes, such as the Lauren Child ones.

allhallowsandwine · 16/10/2010 22:58

slowly slowly slowly said the sloth is a wonderfull bedtime story

ruthie76 · 17/10/2010 09:25

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions.

Must print this thread so I don't forget

R

OP posts:
AngrySmurf · 17/10/2010 09:31

My ds loved The Gruffalo, Harry & his Dinosaurs, Mr Men books

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.