Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.


What would she be?

7 replies

Mosschops30 · 08/07/2005 09:27

Message withdrawn

OP posts:

ssd · 08/07/2005 09:37

nanny or mothers help I'd say.


HellyBelly · 08/07/2005 09:40

She wouldn't be a childminder as we look after mindees in our own home. If she was to be a childminder at a later stage then she would need to re-register.

I'd say the same as ssd, nanny or mothers help - not sure if there are any certificates needed for this?


Mosschops30 · 08/07/2005 09:43

Message withdrawn

OP posts:

SoftFroggie · 08/07/2005 11:13

I think she'd be a nanny. you'd need to employ her properly and give her a contract, deduct and pay to the IR her tax and NI and all the other aspects of being an employer. You couldn't, as far as i know, use her on the same basis as a childminder (i.e. she can't be self-employed).


lunavix · 08/07/2005 11:16

Are there no longer home child carers?


ayla99 · 08/07/2005 14:29

A childminder works in her own home, sets her own fees, policies, daily routine etc.

Ofsted say you don't need to register as a childminder if you
look after the child wholly or mainly in the child?s own home
 look after children for two sets of parents wholly or mainly in the home of either or both sets of parents.

"Mother's help" implies household duties as well as caring for child

Sounds more like a nanny (employer/employee relationship) to me.

lunavix - think the home childcarers were/are phased out, I never could see the difference between that role and a nanny.


nannynick · 08/07/2005 17:49

lunavix, Home Childcarers are now phased out. It has been replaced by Approved Childcarers.

An Approved Childcarer cares for children in the child's home. Approval is via the Childcare Approval Scheme which does not do as much checks as would be done on a Registered Childminder, but does at least make sure the person has an Enhanced CRB Disclosure and First Aid training.

Nannies are being encouraged to join the scheme as parents using an Approved Childcarer can get some tax benefits by using Childcare Vouchers.

With regard to this specific situation, any care at your home is unregulated. In England, care provided at someone else's home (Childminder) or a childcare establishment (Nursery, Pre-School, Holiday-Club) is regulated by Ofsted, as long as care is proivided for 2+ hours - any care provider working less than 2 hours, is unregulated.

As mentioned by others, if you employ the ex-Childminder to care for your child, at your home, they would be classed as a Nanny for tax purposes - so you would need to register as an employer.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?