My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

What do you call yours?

3 replies

mishmash · 12/04/2005 10:11

I have been reading through many threads on this forum of late and some seem to get quite heated.

I am just wondering what everyone's definition of a Nanny really is - is it someone fully trained in a Nanny college or do you consider a foreign childminder to be regarded as a nanny as well.

The Agency I hired my childminder from regarded them as nanny's but really and truly she only has basic childcare training together with First Aid.

So is she a nanny or a childminder?

Just a brain teaser

OP posts:
uwila · 12/04/2005 10:42

I define nanny vs. au pair or whatever other job title as being a reflection of the job description, and necessarily dependant on the experience.

If I hire someone tolook after my kids with sole charge for 10 hours per day, he/she is a nanny regardless of where he/she comes from or what their last job was.

Some nannies have formal qualification. But, not having them doesn't necesarily mean you can't be one.

uwila · 12/04/2005 10:43

sorry, meant to say "...and not necessarily dependant on..."

blodwen · 12/04/2005 17:35

A childminder looks after children in her own home; a nanny works in the child's home.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.